Kodak EASYSHARE V550 Zoom
- Wonderful pictures, stylish design
- Lacks advanced manual controls
This beautiful looking camera produces equally beautiful pictures.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
This Kodak EASYSHARE V550 Zoom performs extremely well in terms of image quality, yet falls down in several other key areas.
The V550 is a departure from the regular Kodak consumer camera design. It was a very pleasant surprise when we opened the box of this model to discover a slim, stylish, brushed aluminium body. It feels solid and looks great.
The V550 also comes sporting a nice-looking 230,000 pixel, 2.5" LCD. We love big LCDs; they make framing shots just that much easier.
The V550 uses Kodak's standard menu system, which is a brilliant system for new photographers. An on-camera help system succinctly explains what each function does.
This is where the good ends, however. The most noticeable absence from the menu system is any sort of real manual control. That includes manual control over things like aperture, shutter speed and focus. It does offer the standard white balance and ISO controls, and plenty of preset shooting modes, but this won't sate photographers who like to fine-tune their shots manually.
We found the V550 had incredibly fast startup, almost no noticeable shutter lag and 1 to 1.5 seconds image write lag.
The images this camera produces are nothing short of beautiful. For a 5 megapixel model, the V550 outdoes itself, taking images that rival many, more expensive 7 megapixel models. The colour is rich, the detail is clear and crisp. The pictures are something any photographer would be proud to have on their wall.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
- Canon goes big on resolution with 250-megapixel sensor
- Hey, Saturn, take a selfie! World's biggest digital camera will photograph the universe
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCAutomation Test Engineer with Baseline clearance (or higher)VIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCABAP DeveloperVIC
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Server and Storage Support EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager XPLANNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCDesktop Support (Contract Renewable)Asia
- CCDeployment CoordinatorNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- FTTM1 Solution DesignerNSW
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Manager - Infrastructure Supply ChainNSW
- CCTesting Resource ManagerVIC
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCFacilities ManagerACT
- CCNetwork Engineer - TelecomVIC