Kodak Easyshare Z1015 IS
An ultra-zoom 10Mp camera.
- Big 15x optical zoom with 28mm wide-angle focal length, sharp images, very minimal shutter lag
- Colour balance quite off, very sluggish start-up, controls a little fiddly
Kodak's Easyshare Z1015 IS is a fine ultra-zoom camera for users looking to upgrade. It has some image quality issues and takes a while to start up but its overall performance was pleasing.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Kodak's Easyshare Z1015 features a 15x optical zoom, advanced shooting features and all the bells and whistles you expect from an advanced compact camera. It is a relatively strong performer, although its images suffer from some annoying flaws.
The main problem with the unit was its colour reproduction. Colours were strongly saturated and not particularly accurate. We tested on both the natural and vivid colour modes but neither gave satisfactory results. Exposure was also a little problematic, with a slightly darker tone than normal across most of our shots.
Our test shots were about as sharp you would expect from a 10-megapixel camera. They were a little blotchy at times, but only in patches of fine detail; nonetheless they should produce good prints at most sizes. Chromatic aberration was also well controlled, with very little in the way of haloing or purple fringing and minimal detail loss towards the edges of the frame.
The camera's noise performance was not outstanding. ISO 100 and ISO 200 produced fine shots, while at ISO 400 there was a little colourful speckling evident but it wasn't too problematic. It wasn't until ISO 800 that we saw a drop in clarity; beyond this setting the shots became largely useless.
In our speed tests the Z1015 IS did well, with the exception of a sluggish 3.7 second start-up time; this is somewhat understandable given it is an ultra-zoom camera. The camera's shutter lag was much better, clocking in at a very speedy 0.05 seconds, and the shot-to-shot time was almost as impressive at 1.8 seconds. The burst mode snapped a modest two frames per second.
The camera's feature set is quite robust and should suit people looking to upgrade from an old compact. It offers all the standard manual controls, including aperture, shutter and program priorities, as well as face detection and image stabilisation. The 15x optical zoom lens is the most impressive part of the package as it has a 28mm focal length, allowing quite a bit of creative shot taking.
The camera is big, boxy and not particularly stylish. The controls are a little fiddly: there is a single scroll wheel that you push in to change mode and then scroll it to select settings. It can get a little annoying and we would have preferred the addition of a second wheel.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Boom: SanDisk just dropped the world's largest SD card
- Camera app makers tap into RAW power with iOS, and look forward to dual lenses
- Google Camera 3.2 lets you snap pictures while recording video
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Sony α7S II aimed film-makers and low light photographers
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- CCUser ResearcherNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- TPDrupal Developer - Immediate startQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTSenior C++ EngineerACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityVIC
- CCSenior Infrastructure EngineerNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantWA
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- TPScrum MasterVIC
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- FTSenior .Net Developer with Silverlight proficiencyVIC
- CCProject ManagerSA
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)VIC