Kogan PRO-22 LCD television
This 22in HDTV has a Full HD resolution and an integrated DVD player
- Integrated DVD player, nice picture, clear sound
- Not quite there in terms of colour, imperfect scaling
The Kogan PRO-22 won’t give you the full home theatre experience, but for those wanting to experience high-definition movies and games without a huge screen or a huge price, it's worth a look.
Price$ 349.00 (AUD)
The Kogan PRO-22 is a high-definition, 22in LCD television with a built-in DVD player, USB and SD/MMC/MS card support and an acceptable HDTV tuner.
The unit is all black, with the main control buttons (power, source, menu, channel/volume) situated along the top — leaving the front bezel looking clean and neat. The sales package includes a remote control.
The Kogan PRO-22 has two HDMI ports, S-Video, component and composite connections as well as VGA and audio input.
The TV's menu includes standard picture adjustment options, such as brightness, contrast, colour and sharpness. The sound options include area presets such as concert, living room, bathroom and arena, which all sound pretty good at low to moderate volumes, although at high volume levels things start to sound a little hollow. There is also a password setting for parents and a sleep option.
We plugged the Kogan PRO-22 into both a PlayStation 3 and an Xbox-360 HD-DVD player and found the picture quality to be quite impressive. The PRO-22's native resolution is 1920x1080, so the screen is well suited to high-definition content like Blu-ray video. With a static contrast ratio of 800:1, colour isn't as vivid as it is on more expensive TVs — but this can be forgiven given the extremely low price tag.
Image sharpness when viewing 1080p content was acceptable — with such a small screen size, it's hard to see fine details. The screen struggles when scaling video that's not at its native resolution; we fed it some downloaded video footage and noticed a significant lack of detail compared to what we've seen on more expensive 22in units like the Teac LCD228HDM and the Sony Bravia KDL22S5700. DVD quality footage fares better but again it isn't perfect — the screen's scaling engine is simply inferior to other offerings.
If you're looking for a small, versatile and, most importantly, cheap second screen for casual movie watching or game playing, Kogan's PRO-22 22in LCD television is a good choice.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Japan starts 8K TV broadcasts in time for Rio Olympics
- Android TV's universal search feature finally works with Netflix
- Vizio’s latest 4K TVs make eye-popping HDR more affordable
- Netflix flips the switch on eye-popping HDR video streaming
- Sony’s pricey Ultra video-streaming service goes live today, but you'll need a new high-end 4K Sony TV to use it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTCertification and Accreditation Security ConsultantACT
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager - DCR ProjectNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCEnterprise Application ArchitectQLD
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT