Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera
A budget Full HD camcorder with a 20-megapixel still image mode
- Good HD video for asking price, free 8GB SD memory card, improved optical zoom
- A bit too similar to its cheaper predecessor, confusing and ugly menu
The Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera is an impressive all-rounder. It is capable of taking great looking photos and videos -- especially for the asking price. Highly recommended.
Price$ 339.00 (AUD)
The Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera is an affordable high-definition camcorder that records video to SD/SDHC memory cards. Just like Kogan's previous camcorders, it punches well above its weight when it comes to price vs. performance.
At $339, the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera costs around $60 more than the regular, non-deluxe version. For the added premium, you get a more powerful optical zoom (12x instead of 5x), a redesigned lens (36-428mm vs. 38-190mm) and enhanced interpolation software. This boosts the total pixel count to an impressive 20 megapixels — double what the previous version offered. The camcorder has also undergone a subtle redesign, with an improved control dial and connectivity flaps. As a finishing touch, it comes with gaudy gold lettering to really ram home its 'deluxe' status.
Whether the above changes are worth sixty smackeroos is somewhat debatable. Nonetheless, it remains one of the best-value HD camcorders on the market. Indeed, most of its competitors are at least three times more expensive (even budget models like the Sanyo Xacti HD1010 typically retail for around $1000). Its only real competitors are the Millennius Memmoir Gold Full HD camcorder and inferior 'pocket cams' such as the JVC GC-FM1. Consequently, we're willing to overlook the $60 mark-up.
With dimensions of 129x72x67mm, the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera is slightly larger than its predecessor. That said, it remains reasonably compact and attractive. We were especially impressed by the fat lens dominating the front of the device — in addition to taking good video, this helps to give Kogan's camera a high-end feel that the majority of budget models lack. For the asking price, it is a well-constructed product.
As its name suggests, the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera employs a touchscreen interface for menu selections. A directional joystick is also included for camcorder traditionalists (and people with unsightly sausage fingers). We experienced no issues with the touchscreen during testing, although we found the menu icons to be a bit garish. Camcorder beginners will initially find the array of symbols confusing.
To test the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera's video performance, we shot footage in a variety of lighting conditions and then played it back on a Pioneer KURO PDP-C509A plasma TV . While we were unable to do a side-by-side comparison, the results seemed on par with the Kogan Full HD 1080p Touchscreen Video Camera. We certainly didn't notice any aberrations.
Like its predecessor, the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera produced impressive-looking video in the sunshine, with plenty of fine detail and accurate colours. Picture quality took a nose dive in dim environments — but that's to be expected from a $339 camcorder. Its output will remain perfectly serviceable for holiday videos and family home movies. In other words, the majority of users will be more than satisfied.
The stills image mode is equally impressive. The native 10-megapixel mode took sharp photos that are suitable for printing, while the included flash allows you to use it in the dark (provided your subject is close to the camera).
All in all, the Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera is a great performer for the asking price. The addition of a 12x optical zoom lens and 20-megapixel stills mode are sure to be appreciated by casual users. The camera also comes bundled with a carry case and an 8GB SD memory card, bolstering its value further.
The Kogan Full HD 1080p Deluxe Touchscreen Video Camcorder Camera is only available direct from Kogan. Visit www.kogan.com.au for more information.
Become a fan of GoodGearGuide on Facebook
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Stay up to date with the latest reviews. Sign up to GoodGearGuide’s Gear Daily newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT