The tiny, free Safe Calculator utility would be useful on the go or when sharing a public computer
- Free, can run from anywhere
- You may have trouble getting help
At any rate, the fact that it doesn't install means that it can run from anywhere, even an external hard drive... so if you've got one file with important information that is for your eyes only, you can make it vanish with Safe Calculator.
Safe Calculator is a neat little utility that pretends to be the basic Windows calculator when you launch it. In actuality, it's a safe that can take a single file and encrypt it, disappearing it into the application itself.
The tiny, free Safe Calculator utility would be useful on the go or when sharing a public computer, when you need to write something down and then hide it.
It's a good thing that Safe Calculator is a simple program, because you may have trouble getting any help using it. We found the feedback form at the app's native website, www.krilome.com, frequently unresponsive. For that matter, the site in its entirety went up and down during our testing period.
As for Safe Calculator itself, it's easy as pie. It doesn't even require installation. All you do is enter the password at any time and click MS, and "safe mode" appears, changing all the calculator buttons to ones that would be useful for an app like this. Then, click on + to store and = to confirm. After that, you can execute the file, bring it back from hiding, or delete it.
It's difficult to figure out why developer Krilome decided to make the utility look like the Windows calculator when not in use, since when you're in "safe mode", the buttons change anyway and it doesn't look anything like a calculator. Why not make a safe app that looks like a safe, instead? Do you really need that extra level of subterfuge?
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- 'Mind-blowingly awesome' Telstra phishing scam detected
- Facebook Messenger flaw revealed
- Synaptics's low-cost USB fingerprint reader could bring Windows Hello to old PCs
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- FTCapacity PlannerNSW
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCSQL Database Administrator - DBANSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTIT Release CoordinatorWA
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW