Kyocera FS-920 laser printer
- Quiet, high speed, low running costs
- Nothing in particular
The FS-920 is well built, speedy and incredibly economical to run. A perfectly pitched model from Kyocera.
Price$ 519.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Few manufacturers can match Kyocera for overall cost of ownership. The company's ECOSYS technology means this printer is quiet, low-maintenance and has low ongoing costs. Add a low price, reasonable print speeds and quality output, and you have a personal mono laser worth attention.
The FS-920 is a surprisingly heavy-duty and robust model with options that include a network interface and memory upgrade to 288MB. It has a resolution of 1800 x 600dpi, and we managed to get it printing on draft text at 17ppm (pages per minute). Not too shoddy, and only a page slower than Kyocera's claimed speed.
We're also happy to report that there's little slowdown on jobs with mixed text and graphics when you bump up the quality. We even managed to print out a high-res A4 BMP image on best quality in 16 seconds. We didn't suffer any paper jams--though the printer's internals are easy to access so you should be able to retrieve stuck sheets without any problems.
At this price you're not going to get an LCD menu, although the FS-920 does have two hardware buttons and an internal 250-page input tray.
Kyocera sensibly sits the output tray a good couple of centimetres higher than the rest of the printer, so finished pages don't push off the ones that have already been delivered.
As expected on a mono laser, shading tends to look a bit mottled, but text and graphics on high quality are sharp.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FT.NET DevelopersQLD
- FTData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCTechnical PM - Magento E-Commerce SolutionNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCDeemed Order Business SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Programmer (MS SQL Server/SQL/Web) 160518/P/626Asia
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCIBM Sterling Developer + IBM Sterling Team LeaderNSW
- CCIT Environment and Deployment SpecialistQLD
- CCSenior Network Engineer - NV1ACT
- FTCloud ArchitectAsia
- CCTechnology Team Lead / Senior Developer - JavaNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Engineer- VMware / Cisco UCSNSW
- CCDigital Project ManagerVIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- CCSenior Oracle Functional ConsultantSA
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCNetwork Consultant - Bandwidth Assessment | 3 month contract into Defence | NV1+ACT