LaCie Rugged All-Terrain Hard Drive
- Triple interface, no power required
- Small drop distance, No protection for rear ports
While perhaps not as ‘rugged’ as LaCie suggests, it does offer more protection than your average hard drive.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 45 stores)
Fresh from their colourful 'Bricks' series of hard drives, LaCie has released a new 'rugged' external storage drive, cased in aluminum and protected by a rather bright orange rubberized coating. Measuring 90 x 25 x 145mm and weighing 250g, the Rugged Hard Drive isn't the smallest drive out there, but is small enough to be easily carried around in a laptop bag.
LaCie has heavily marketed this device as 'durable', by using pictures of a compass or other outdoor products in the marketing photos. The scratch resistant casing and rubber coating certainly give the unit an 'industrial' look and feel. In reality however, while providing a basic protection from everyday bumps and scratches, the Lacie unit isn't as 'rugged as you may think.
A close reading of the specs reveals the drive has a drop distance of only 90cm - and this is when turned off. This means if the drive is turned off and you knock it off a low standing table, it most likely won't be damaged. However when you think about it, 90cm isn't very high at all, and if you drop it while standing up or when turned, the drive is likely to get damaged. Still, the rubberized coating should absorb the majority of minor bumps and scratches.
Next, even though this unit is advertised as something that can be used outside, LaCie has neglected to provide any kind of protection or casing for the connections ports, which are situated at the rear of the device. This means if you do take it outdoors, say in an area with high dust or sand, there's a good chance these particles can get into the exposed connections, ruining the drive. Some kind of cover or plug system would have been good, even as an accessory.
We found using the drive itself to be fast, as it runs on a USB 2.0 connection and is plug and play - meaning you don't need to install any software before you use it. One thing we particularly like is that no AC power is required - it charges using a USB cable hooked up to your PC/laptop. This is does allow the device to be used outdoors as it frees it from the constraints of needing a wall power socket.
The LaCie Rugged Hard Drive comes in sizes of 80GB, 100GB and 120GB and USB or USB/Firewire versions are available.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Wi-Fi Passpoint standard now knits together SF, San Jose, London
- Big Data Digest: Rise of the think-bots
- FCC pushes TV spectrum auction to 2016 after legal challenge
- Apple mum as Mac owners tussle with Yosemite over Wi-Fi problems
- Apple Pay tops Tim Cook's to-do list in China
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW