Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 Free
- No real-time protection
True, your existing antivirus program likely has antispyware features of its own. But if you suspect you might have spyware on your PC and you want to double-check your antivirus program's assessment, download Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 Free for an extra spyware and privacy scan.
The new version of Lavasoft's flagship antispyware application, Ad-Aware 2008 Free, aims to supplement your existing antivirus protection by detecting spyware and privacy risks.
The feature-limited free version lacks real-time protection, and it will discover security or privacy threats only when you run a manual scan. Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 Free also doesn't automatically update, so before you start a scan, you must click a button on the main window to receive the latest spyware definitions.
You can choose either a 'smart' scan, which focuses on critical parts of your computer, or a full scan that digs in everywhere.
Besides scans, you can run a 'TrackSweep' to clear browsing history, cache elements, cookies, and other data from Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera (although each browser has a similar feature built-in). You'll also see options for Ad-Watch, which actively monitors for threats, and references to other tools and plug-ins, but you have to upgrade from Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 Free to Plus or Pro to use them.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- The NSA's foreign surveillance: 5 things to know
- After CIA leak, Intel Security releases detection tool for EFI rootkits
- Cisco on CIA WikiLeaks revelations: It’s not our problem… this time
- Old Windows malware may have tampered with 132 Android apps
- Google shifts on email encryption tool, leaving its fate unclear
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTHelpdesk TechnicianVIC
- FTFinancial ERP Customer - Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- FTWorkforce AnalystNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCExecutive SupportWA
- FTC# (Full Stack) DeveloperNSW
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW
- TPAutomation Test AnalystSA
- FTDrupal Developer - SeniorQLD
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- FTService Desk Operations AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager Retail Supply Chain OptimisationNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst-InfrastructureNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- FTApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTDevops / Technical Support AnalystVIC
- FTIT Security Team LeadNSW
- TPSenior Communications EngineerWA
- CCSAP FICO Support AnalystWA
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperVIC
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager Retail Supply Chain OptimisationQLD
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW