Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition.
- Reduced system footprint
- More demanding users should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus or Pro
As an occasionally used program to support more full-featured antivirus software and a firewall, Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Free holds some potential. More demanding users - especially those without antivirus programs - should have a closer look at Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition Plus, or Pro. All are worth your consideration.
Security program Ad-Aware is now a decade old, and vendor Lavasoft calls its new version of Ad-Aware the Anniversary Edition. We've taken a closer look at the features of Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition in its Pro, Plus, and Free versions.
Earlier versions of Ad-Aware promised protection against viruses, spyware, Trojans, and other pests. New in the full Pro version of the Anniversary Edition is a heuristic, or behaviour-based, search for these pests.
Thanks to the new Ad-Watch Live feature, which constantly monitors your system, future malware might have more trouble invading your PC.
There are more new features. Scans for malicious software can now be customised in profiles; they can also be carried out on external drives. The new Lavasoft Toolbox allows you to observe all running processes, and it can send suspicious files to Lavasoft. After Ad-Aware scans and removes spyware, all remnants of the infection, Lavasoft claims, should be cleared. In addition, Ad-Aware has now been fully integrated into the Windows Security Center.
Despite the addition of more features, Lavasoft claims that Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is much more efficient and resource-friendly than its predecessor. According to Lavasoft, the Anniversary Edition consumes 74 percent less memory than Ad-Aware 2008, and CPU utilisation during a scan has been dramatically reduced.
Lavasoft's in-house study compares Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition with its competitors from Symantec (Norton 360), PC Tools, Kaspersky, and AVG. Lavasoft's entry is in second place with memory consumption at idle and in third during real-time monitoring (Norton 360 is the clear winner in each of these), but Ad-Aware consumed the least memory during a scan. In terms of CPU utilisation, Ad-Aware was the most efficient. In terms of scanning speed, PC Tools beat Lavasoft.
The Lavasoft Ad-Aware Anniversary Edition is available in a stripped-down Free version, a Plus version, and a Pro version.
The Pro version has all features installed. The Plus version lacks the new Lavasoft Toolbox, the scanning function, and real-time protection for network drives. The Ad-Watch Live function is also slightly reduced in Plus.
The Free version lacks protection against over 2 million pests; it is not a full-fledged antivirus software replacement. In the Free version, Ad-Watch Live has been further restricted as well: Real-time Registry monitoring and heuristics are completely gone. It's no surprise that technical support and schedulers are also missing from the free version.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- A.I. faces hype, skepticism at RSA cybersecurity show
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Privacy groups urge investigation of 'internet of toys'
- Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and YouTube will share terror content info
- How to password protect a PDF before sending it by email
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPProject ManagerOther
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- CCService ManagerACT
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- TPSCCM SpecialistVIC
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTDatabase DeveloperACT
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW