Lavasoft Ad-Aware Total Security
The newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software
- Simple and straightforward interface. Protects against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures.
- Might not be worth the extra $20 it costs compared to the Pro version
Is it worth paying $49.95 for Ad-Aware Total Security, when the latest Pro version runs only $29.95? Ad-Aware Total Security includes a number of features missing in the Pro version, such as an email scanner, anti-spam, data recovery, scanning of instant message, a personal firewall, parental controls, and a file shredder. Those are useful, but not necessarily essential, so it may not be worth the extra $20 to you. But if you're looking for an all-in-one security suite, Ad-Aware Total Security is worth a try.
Price$ 49.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
Ad-Aware Total Security ($49.95, 30-day free trial), the newest addition to the Lavasoft line of security software, is an all-in-one suite that builds on the longtime anti-spyware favourite Ad-Aware. It adds anti-virus, rootkit detection, a personal firewall, spam protection, parental control software and more. It's essentially the same software as Ad-Aware Free Internet Security or the $29.95 Ad-Aware Internet Security Pro, with extra capabilities bolted on.
Like the other software in the line, Ad-Aware Total Security includes heuristics detection, and so examines complex system behaviour, rather than just looking for known malware signatures. In this way, it can protect against emerging and unknown threats, not just threats that are already known and found via the use of signatures. New in this version is the Genotype heuristics detection system, which Lavasoft claims is superior to its previous heuristics. PCWorld has not yet tested this product's antivirus feature, and thus cannot offer an opinion about this feature's usefulness.
As with all Ad-Aware products, the interface for Ad-Aware Total Security is simple and straightforward. The main screen displays basic information about the state of your security, including when you last performed a virus check and when you last updated the program and anti-virus signatures. There's also a tabbed section for delving deeper into the program, including for e-mail and anti-spam protection as well as enabling parental controls, which are disabled by default.
Note that the first time you run a scan with Ad-Aware Total Security, and the program updates its signatures and similar information, it can take a very long time. It took more than an hour on my system. Subsequent runs took fifteen to thirty minutes.
If you're the kind of person who likes to tinker, you'll be pleased with the many customisations available to you. For example, you can have the virus-scanner pause during times of high system load. Also useful is a CPU load indicator, which displays how much of your system's CPU is being used over time, as well as how much of the CPU Ad-Aware Total Security takes up.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Edward Snowden has developed an iPhone case meant to kill surveillance
- 'Mind-blowingly awesome' Telstra phishing scam detected
- Facebook Messenger flaw revealed
- Synaptics's low-cost USB fingerprint reader could bring Windows Hello to old PCs
- Microsoft breaks own design rules in dupe-the-user Windows 10 upgrade tactic
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- CCSenior Project Manager, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCJunior/Intermediate Drupal web developer - APS Level 4/5 equiACT
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCLean Six Sigma Project ManagerVIC
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCData ModellerACT
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia