Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 274634M
The Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 274634M features a different style to the usual ThinkPad.
- Good processor, excellent keyboard, good screen
- Heavy, only 250GB hard drive
The Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 274634M is an all-purpose laptop that provides plenty of processor power and connectivity, but it lacks the portability and the storage needed to be great.
Price$ 1,899.00 (AUD)
The Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 274634M is an all-purpose 15.4in laptop with plenty of grunt, a wide variety of connections and good usability. Just make sure you're happy with Lenovo's changes to the traditional ThinkPad style.
The Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 has a glossy piano black cover like those usually seen in the home-friendly IdeaPad range. The lid latch is gone, as is the small keyboard light normally found on ThinkPads.
The full-sized keyboard is excellent, with the button response being just firm enough to suit touch typists. The textured touchpad below the keyboard is accurate, and there is a TrackPoint-style device as an alternative cursor control method.
The 15.4in screen has a native resolution of 1680x1050 and uses a matte anti-glare coating that works better in well-lit environments than glossy displays; the screen also has a wide viewing angle. The bezel is thin along the left and right sides but a little thicker at the top. This gives the notebook a blocky appearance.
The Lenovo ThinkPad SL500 weighs 3kg without the power supply and 3.5kg with it included, so you can expect a solid workout if you carry it around all day. It has a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 processor and 2GB of DDR2 RAM. Storage is provided by a 250GB hard drive that spins at 5400rpm. We'd like to see at least a 320GB hard drive at this price point, but 250GB should be enough for many users.
We praised the performance of the P8600 processor in the Toshiba Satellite A350 (PSAL6A-059016B), and it performs almost identically here. Our iTunes and Blender 3D benchmarks returned times of 1min 11sec and 1min 15sec, respectively, both of which are speedy times. WorldBench 6 returned a score of 88, which is slightly lower than we were expecting.
Graphics are processed by an NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS GPU. Even though it only managed to get a 3DMark06 score of 1985, this is enough to play older DirectX 9 games like F.E.A.R. at low to medium graphics settings. It's also there to provide high-definition output through the HDMI port.
There are a wide variety of options for connecting to other devices and networks. There are four USB 2.0 ports, along with a FireWire port, D-Sub port and HDMI output; the HDMI port will be useful if you want to connect the SL500 to a plasma or LCD TV. An ExpressCard/54 slot can be found on the right side of the chassis next to the DVD burner, dial-up modem port and Gigabit Ethernet port. An Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5100 adapter provides dual-band 802.11n wireless connectivity.
Unfortunately, using the SL500 on the move is difficult thanks to its weight and below-average battery life. In our DVD rundown test the notebook lasted 1hr 15min, which is 15min less than what we expect from a laptop this size.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Europe moves to develop standard mobile phone chargers
- Michael Jackson's death knocks Google & Twitter offline
- Palm CEO: We don't have to beat each other to prosper
- RIM patches BlackBerry PDF vulnerability
- Big Profits from App Store? Maybe Not for Apple
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange LeadACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.Net/Crystal Report) 160504/AP/vtdAsia
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCAzure Consultant/EngineerQLD
- CCAnalyst Programmer (Lotus Notes/Networking) 160504/AP/781Asia
- FTPHP/MySQL DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Automation Tester - MicroservicesNSW
- CCSenior Test Analyst (Manual)NSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCSenior Java Analyst / AdministratorACT
- CCData Management & Reporting Development OfficerSA
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- FTData AnalystNSW
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Enterprise SystemsNSW
- CCIT Program Delivery Office Lead- Government BackgroundNSW
- CCCloud Service Solution LeadVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCHastus AdministratorVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia