Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet
- Compact, nice keyboard
- Less power than its competitors
The ThinkPad X41 Tablet has excellent security and battery life, and is very mobile.
Price$ 3,999.00 (AUD)
Apart from the swivelling 12.1" display (which is viewable from side angles and has a 1024 x 768 pixel resolution), the Lenovo ThinkPad X41 Tablet uses the same bottom shell as the Lenovo ThinkPad X41 series. The ThinkPad X41 costs roughly $400 less for a similarly configured unit, without tablet PC functions.
At 1.8kg, the ThinkPad X41 Tablet is more compact and less costly than Toshiba's Tecra M4, but also less powerful.
Our test unit made the most of Intel's latest Centrino technology, featuring an Intel Pentium M 758 (1.5GHz) low-voltage processor and 512MB of DDR2 memory--up to 128MB of which is used by the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 integrated graphics controller.
Of course, 802.11a/b/g wireless networking is standard, but so is Bluetooth, infrared, Gigabit Ethernet and 56Kbps modem communications.
Our X41 Tablet was also equipped with a 60GB 4200rpm hard drive, one standard and one powered USB 2.0 slot (for connecting external devices such as DVD drives) plus a VGA-out port. The X41 Tablet supports one Type II PC Card and has a built-in SD card reader.
Lenovo's X41 Tablet has a great keyboard, complete with extras such as dedicated back and forward browser buttons above the arrow keys. We just wish there was a Windows button! The
Lenovo has included a biometric fingerprint reader and hard disk and power-on password protection, plus an embedded security subsystem to encrypt and protect your data on-the-fly.
The X41 Tablet boasts active hard disk protection, similar to some Toshiba models. When a sudden change in motion is detected, the hard disk is quickly stopped, as it effectively braces for impact. The magnesium chassis should be able to take a few knocks, too.
The X41 Tablet ships with a large eight-cell battery (rated for about six hours). This extends outward for use as a rubberised grip when in tablet mode. A smaller four-cell battery is also available. A three-year parts and labour warranty is included as standard.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- More iPad screen sizes unlikely to stop slump
- Android struggling in tablets as Windows 10 2-in-1s come on strong
- Samsung unveils Galaxy Book, a Windows 10 tablet aimed at the Surface-curious
- Everything we think we know about Samsung’s Galaxy Tab S3
- Lenovo's ThinkPad P71 will work with HTC, Oculus VR headsets
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPDigital Business AnalystNSW
- FTSCCM AdministratorACT
- FTSenior Marketing Analyst | Immediate startVIC
- CCIT Project Scheduler- Port MacquarieQLD
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!VIC
- FTFunctional Consultant - CommercialsQLD
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperQLD
- FTSolution Architect (e-Health)NSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTKey Account ManagerVIC
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTService Desk Operators (Part time and Full Time)SA
- FTProject Manager - Finance BackgroundQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTOracle eBusiness Functional Consultant. (Procurement)NSW
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness Analyst- Digital & agileNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- FTDeployment Manager | ContractVIC
- FTCloud Infrastructure Specialist - Azure/AWSNSW
- CCSalesforce Functional AnalystNSW
- CCSystem TesterQLD
- FTSenior Lead Developer/Architect - TelcoVIC