Lexar Media 360
- Brilliant cap-free design, PowerToGo software, Compact size
- 2GB maximum, Hinge feels a little flimsy
The Lexar 360 is sure to win a lot of fans due to its stylish yet functional design. If you're sick of losing the caps to your flash drives, then the 360 is tailor-made for you.
Price$ 44.95 (AUD)
When it comes to overall design, most USB flash drives fall into two separate categories -- boring and stupid. The former refers to any number of identikit models that have zero personality, while the latter includes everything from plastic fruit replicas to Swiss army knives. It truly is a rare thing for a drive to combine functionality and unique looks in one package, which is why we're so enamored with the Lexar 360 -- finally, an unusual design that actually serves a purpose!
The Lexar 360 is encased in a rotating metal jacket via a sturdy plastic hinge. Rather like a pocket knife, the drive swings out of the jacket during use, and has 360 degrees of rotation. This effectively eliminates the need for a cap, which is a big plus for people who work in a cluttered office or are just naturally forgetful. Indeed, we can't tell you the amount of times we've misplaced those tiny hard-to-find lids, so the lack of a cap is definitely appreciated.
In addition to allowing a lidless design, the swivel mechanic also means that the 360 is noticeably smaller than the typical flash drive. This makes it ideal for carrying around on your key ring, with a built-in loop handily provided for this very purpose. A blue LED light resides under the plastic hinge, hidden from sight. This causes the hinge to light up subtly while the drive is in use; a classy and elegant touch.
Included on the Lexar 360's drive is PowerToGo, an application that lets you store and access Windows-based software from almost any PC. One of the benefits of this application is that you can use Internet Explorer or similar devices without leaving any traces on the computer your 360 is plugged into. All data, including emails, cookies, history and favourites, remain safely on the drive. You can also use the PowerToGo taskbar to add certified programs directly from Lexar's website, including Skype, Google Talk and Mozilla Firefox.
For the security-conscious, Secure II is included on the drive; an advanced security software tool which lets you create encryption vaults and multiple passwords to keep selected documents hidden.
In terms of speed, the 360 reads and writes at a fairly zippy pace. We transferred 450MB of assorted Word documents and JPEG files in one hit, which took a little under three minutes. According to Lexar, the 360 is capable of minimum sustained speeds of 10MB/s write and 15MB/s read; which should satisfy all but the most impatient technophile.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Portable SSD
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- CCProject Manager TelecommunicationsQLD
- TPFull Stack .NET DeveloperWA
- FTTechnical Team Leader | ArchitectQLD
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPSOE AdministratorQLD
- CCTelecommunication Operations SpecialistTAS
- FTPerformance TesterACT
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerQLD
- FTBusiness Intelligence Analyst / DeveloperNSW
- CCSAP ISU Device Management ConsultantNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- FTJunior Software Engineer - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW