- Extensive paper handling options, colour, very versatile
- Colour prints not great
For offices that need a colour laser to do everything but make the morning coffee, the C762n is an extremely versatile choice.
Price$ 3,964.40 (AUD)
The Lexmark C762n is fairly inexpensive for a colour laser designed to serve a high-output office with a wide variety of printing needs. This model has truly extensive paper-handling options that turn it from a simple colour laser into a one-machine printing station. Options include a five-bin collater, a 3000-sheet finisher for such touches as stapling and collating, up to three 500-sheet paper trays, a hefty 2000-sheet paper tray, a wireless print server, and a variety of other media trays. You can even turn the C762n into a multifunction device by just popping a scanner on the top of the printer.
Of course, once you've fully decked out the basic version, you'll have paid significantly more than its attractive starting price, but the C762n's versatility is an asset if you do want to expand your printer's capabilities. The printer even comes standard with a 500MHz processor and 128MB of RAM, which should keep most office print jobs moving along smoothly, and you can expand the RAM up to 512MB.
Though this model has options to meet the needs of almost any office, its performance was less impressive. The device, which uses a single-pass design, printed text at 16.1 pages per minute and colour graphics at 4.9ppm.
The C762n's print quality, while generally good, didn't wow us either. It printed text very well, as most colour lasers do, with fine, dark letters. The narrow parallel lines in our line-art test looked straight and showed no banding, but the finer lines tended to merge together into a solid box. Our black-and-white photograph exhibited a bluish cast, though it looked mostly smooth and well textured. Printed colour photographs were light enough, but had somewhat garish colours and skin tones.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- FTWintel EngineerSA
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - Wealth AdviceNSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCSAP Consultant - SAP Native HANA to DesignWA
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCProject Manager TelecommunicationsQLD
- CCWPF .NET EngineerNSW
- FTInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW