- Easy to use, low price, low running costs
- Nothing notable
The E232 has everything a first-time buyer's personal mono laser printer should. It's easy to install, simple to use and robust enough to take the knocks of family life. Add the low purchase price and excellent running costs and you have a great buy.
Price$ 449.90 (AUD)
The Lexmark E232 is an entry-level mono laser aimed at home users with an eye on speed. If you need fast delivery of mono text or graphics documents, the E232 should be on your wishlist. Despite its low specifications we coaxed decent performance from it in our tests, making it a great choice for first-time buyers looking for complete ease of use.
Silver and black and housed in a compact frame, the E232 feels robust enough to withstand the rigours of family use. This is helped by the location of the 250-sheet input tray underneath the frame so there's no paper sticking out.
On the right-hand side of the printer sits the operating panel and, although the E232 lacks an LCD menu system, this panel offers enough print job information for the average user.
The E232 has 16MB of memory and a 600 x 600 maximum resolution that can be bumped up to 2400 x 2400 with software interpolation--but this is unnecessary because the maximum hardware resolution does a good enough job. Our only print problem involved a rather dark finish on shaded graphics printed at over 600 x 600dpi. Lexmark should be praised for not overstating speed and, while we couldn't match the claimed 21ppm (pages per minute) we did manage a close 18.5ppm for text documents on the lowest resolution setting.
The 1500-page starter cartridge is paltry and the 2500-page replacement cartridge doesn't offer great value for money. But the cheap, 6000-page replacement toner cartridge keeps running costs down.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160824/AP/187Asia
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCEmail Production SpecialistNSW
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCBusiness Intelligence Business AnalystSA
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCSr. Project Manager- Infrastructure- Data Centre,VirtualizationNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- CCSenior Android DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTBack End Developer - Java, Spring, RESTNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSAP ArchitectSA