- Quiet printing, good quality colour scans, user friendly
- Poor print and copy quality
While this unit has plenty of great features, we were disappointed by its print and photocopy quality. Photo printing may require a little fiddling in an image editor beforehand to get the colour balance correct.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
This good-looking Lexmark model has plenty of user-friendly features. It has a colour LCD, a memory card reader and supports PictBridge.
Its paper rests are permanently attached to the unit, which means that there are no extra fiddly bits when it comes time to set it up. It relies on a two-cartridge print system and does not have individual ink tanks for each colour. The machine has an internal space for a spare ink cartridge, and the scanner bed also has a cool little light indicating which way the paper should be placed for scanning.
During testing, this model was fairly quiet. We found the quality of the prints from the Lexmark to be a little biased to yellow and we also noticed banding in many areas of colour gradations. Because of this, photos may require some adjustment in an image editor before printing. Text printing was excellent though, with crisp and dark characters printing out in normal mode, while quick mode produced grey, yet very readable, characters.
In our tests, colour scans of glossy photos proved to be very detailed, with accurate colour tones. Greyscale images from our art book lacked detail, however, and even though we enabled the descreen filter to remove patterns produced by the source material, the scan suffered from these patterns throughout. OCR software also ships with the MFP and its results were excellent during our tests.
Photocopying text in normal mode produced copies that were quite sharp and easy to read, and only slightly lighter in tone than our original document. Colour photocopies were plagued by banding and colour issues, however, and took a very long time to complete.
The P6250 excels in user-friendliness. Its control panel has large buttons and clear labels for all the copy and scan functions, and the LCD makes it easy to print photos directly from the memory card reader. The supplied PC software, Lexmark Imaging Studio, offers an easy task-based interface for printing, scanning, copying and faxing (assuming your PC has a fax-modem).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior BANSW
- CCProcurement OfficerQLD
- CCFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- TPProcess Business Analyst - Digital InnovationNSW
- FTSecurity Support AnalystNSW
- TPSenior Software DeveloperQLD
- FTDatabase DeveloperVIC
- FTCisco Network Engineer (FIFO)WA
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst - Mortgage SolutionNSW
- FTAgile TesterNSW
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT
- FTTeam LeaderNSW
- CCSAP BPC SME/Consultant - BRISBANE BASEDQLD
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- FTArchitect (Technical)NSW
- FTSenior C# DeveloperNSW
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- FTFull Stack Web DeveloperNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)VIC
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- FTWeb Data Entry PublisherACT
- CCITCM EngineerNSW