- Quiet printing, good quality colour scans, user friendly
- Poor print and copy quality
While this unit has plenty of great features, we were disappointed by its print and photocopy quality. Photo printing may require a little fiddling in an image editor beforehand to get the colour balance correct.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
This good-looking Lexmark model has plenty of user-friendly features. It has a colour LCD, a memory card reader and supports PictBridge.
Its paper rests are permanently attached to the unit, which means that there are no extra fiddly bits when it comes time to set it up. It relies on a two-cartridge print system and does not have individual ink tanks for each colour. The machine has an internal space for a spare ink cartridge, and the scanner bed also has a cool little light indicating which way the paper should be placed for scanning.
During testing, this model was fairly quiet. We found the quality of the prints from the Lexmark to be a little biased to yellow and we also noticed banding in many areas of colour gradations. Because of this, photos may require some adjustment in an image editor before printing. Text printing was excellent though, with crisp and dark characters printing out in normal mode, while quick mode produced grey, yet very readable, characters.
In our tests, colour scans of glossy photos proved to be very detailed, with accurate colour tones. Greyscale images from our art book lacked detail, however, and even though we enabled the descreen filter to remove patterns produced by the source material, the scan suffered from these patterns throughout. OCR software also ships with the MFP and its results were excellent during our tests.
Photocopying text in normal mode produced copies that were quite sharp and easy to read, and only slightly lighter in tone than our original document. Colour photocopies were plagued by banding and colour issues, however, and took a very long time to complete.
The P6250 excels in user-friendliness. Its control panel has large buttons and clear labels for all the copy and scan functions, and the LCD makes it easy to print photos directly from the memory card reader. The supplied PC software, Lexmark Imaging Studio, offers an easy task-based interface for printing, scanning, copying and faxing (assuming your PC has a fax-modem).
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior / Lead UX DesignerNSW
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCMurex Developers x 2NSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCSolution Designer - Windows UpgradeNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCQuality AnalystNSW
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCProject Coordinator - Baseline SecurityVIC
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- CCSalesforce Developer / UrgentNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTMiddleware - DevOps EngineerVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW