- Solid software, fast text printing
- Balance not quite right, poor copy quality
This package distinguishes itself by offering a good software suite that would benefit anyone who has not had much experience with a multi-function device. It is highly recommended for the small office, although for photo printing you may have to tinker with the colour balance of your photos first to get good results.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The X7170 looks and feels like it belongs in an office environment, and its features are appropriate for a small office that requires printing, scanning, photocopying and faxing capabilities. It's solidly built, with a curved paper path for the front loading paper tray, and it relies on a two-cartridge ink system to produce its output. It also has a PictBridge port, which enables photos to be printed directly from a camera that supports this interface.
Like the Lexmark P6250, this printer's photo output was a little too yellow during our tests. You may have to adjust your photo's colour balance before printing. Its text printing was also not as sharp as some of its counterparts on the highest quality setting, although it was able to finish a full page of text in this mode in only 32 seconds. To save time and ink, the quick print mode can be used, which will produce slightly muddy, yet easily readable text for proofing. Conveniently, the printer driver defaults to printing pages in reverse order, and it also allows for manual two-sided printing.
Colour scanning provided some good results in our tests, and our glossy photos scanned in with accurate detail and colour tones. Greyscale input was adequate too, but slightly lacking in detail. A4-size scans in either colour or greyscale did not take more than 28 seconds to complete. OCR software is provided with this unite Lexmark, and its interface allows you to directly compare the scanned text to the original document side-by-side to find any errors.
Copies can be made via the flatbed or the automatic document feeder. Copy quality was disappointing, though, with reproduced photos lacking some detail and displaying saturated colours. Photocopies of text were also slightly muddy, but readable.
The X7170 has a well designed console and a two-line LCD shows you the status of the machine and its settings. The supplied Lexmark Productivity Suite software provides a task-based interface for managing documents, scanning, printing, copying and faxing.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- Behind the scenes with Team Walkinshaw at V8 Supercars Melbourne 2017
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior Oracle DeveloperVIC
- FTHadoop Service AdministratorSA
- FTSenior Applications Support AnalystSA
- TPTechnical Analyst - 6 Month Contract - Great Rates Of PayNSW
- FTData Centre Technical SpecialistACT
- FTSenior Systems EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- CCSecurity Incident Analyst - Splunk - TelcoVIC
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTSecurity Support AnalystNSW
- CCExecutive SupportWA
- CC.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCBenefits/Business AnalystNSW
- FTDigital Support ConsultantSA
- FTService Desk ConsultantACT
- FTJunior Applications SupportSA
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- CCOracle WebLogic AdministratorNSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Writer - Reports EditorQLD
- CCWintel Engineers - NV1ACT
- FTSecurity Monitoring SpecialistVIC
- CCLevel 1 Helpdesk Support Analyst x3QLD