The LG BD300 is an entry-level Blu-ray player that delivers great picture quality and has Profile 2.0 BD-Live support.
- Good picture quality when playing Blu-ray discs, stylish, BD-Live
- Image noise and artefacts when upscaling DVDs, no 7.1-channel analog output
The LG BD300 is a Blu-ray player that offers great image quality and BD-Live capabilities for extra online content. Its DVD upscaling may not be perfect, but it's much better than you would get from a standard DVD player when connected to a large screen.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
The LG BD300 is an easy to use entry-level Blu-ray player with Profile 2.0 BD-Live support. It offers good picture quality for both Blu-ray discs and DVDs.
The LG BD300 is 68mm tall, and the piano black fascia with its integrated LCD and aluminium trim will look comfortable as part of any home theatre setup.
The Blu-ray player is accompanied by an uncluttered remote control that makes menu navigation simple.
A USB port on the right side of the LG BD300's face plate lets you play content from compatible storage devices.
Blu-ray Live, also known as Profile 2.0, is a feature being included in an increasing number of entry-level players. If you connect the LG BD300 to the Internet by using its Ethernet port you can access special online content when playing a Blu-ray disc with BD-Live functionality.
Picture quality is excellent when playing Blu-ray discs and relatively good when playing upscaled DVDs. We watched Pearl Harbour on Blu-ray and were impressed by the clarity, colour balance and smooth motion during fast-paced action sequences. When upscaling the The Matrix on DVD to 1080p artefacts were often present in the image. However, the image quality is still much better than standard DVD players can provide for large screens; additionally, the LG BD300 beats the Panasonic DMP-BD35 in this department.
The LG BD300 has HDMI 1.3 output that supports uncompressed 7.1-channel audio. The analog audio options aren't quite as impressive, with stereo RCA composite audio outputs, one digital audio out coaxial port and a digital audio optical output. Even at this price point we'd like to see 5.1-channel analog outputs for surround sound.
The player can decode Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, but you'll need an A/V receiver to really take advantage of this.
The LG BD300 is well worth a look if you're in the market for an entry-level Blu-ray drive with BD-Live compatibility.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Chromecast duo extends Google's reach further into the living room
- Yamaha unveils MusicCast, a high-fidelity multi-room audio system that will have 20-plus components by year's end
- Dr. Dre's Apple Music exclusive paid off
- Telstra TV will offer Netflix, Presto and Stan
- Sony's new whole-home speakers combine Google Cast and Apple AirPlay
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW