- Great format support, reasonably well laid out, nice array of options
- Flimsy construction in some areas, image quality lacking
The LG DP9821P is a reasonable option for those after a portable DVD player, but image quality and design problems keep it from standing out from the pack.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
First impressions of LG's latest portable DivX DVD player did not bode well for the system. The case exterior is modelled in a cheap-looking pearly plastic, making it look almost like a jewellery box, rather than a portable entertainment system.
Upon being opened, however, the system redeemed itself, presenting a well-organised, if not revolutionary, setup of buttons covering all the main functions of the system. We particularly liked the placement of the string of control buttons (play, pause etc.) along the front, giving easy access during car trips without blocking the screen.
The remote is equally well laid out, and was very responsive from all the angles we tested. It did, however, feel a little flimsy, like holding a piece of cardboard. This problem is also present in the system itself; the DVD lid seemed a little weak and perhaps not up to the task of long trips in the hands of small children.
The 7" screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9, although playback of 4:3 videos is also possible. The player supports a huge variety of formats, including music CD, DivX, DVD-Video, JPEG and MP3-CD. It is, however, region locked, so it will only play region 4 DVDs.
Another weak element of the player is the display itself. While adequate for most viewing in our tests, there was noticeable blurring whenever text was displayed. Small disclaimers and credits could be extremely difficult to read, and looking at it from any kind of angle darkened the image and heightened this problem. The colours and brightness were also somewhat washed out at times, but you can only expect so much from a 7" LCD.
Quoted battery life is three hours, and our testing indicated that's about what you'll get--just enough for two average length movies. The system comes packaged with a battery pack, power connector and a car adapter, so it can run from your car and ease the pain of a short battery life.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCIP & Fixed LeadVIC
- FTAX Lead Functional ConsultantWA
- FTChange and Release ManagerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerACT
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTPortfolio Project Governance AnalystNSW
- CCAsp.Net Developer with Angular, SQL,Twitter Bootstrapper, CSSNSW
- CCAgile Scrum MasterACT
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- FTSenior Architect, Marketing and Campaign ManagementNSW
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- FTDesktop Specialist - Application PackagingACT
- FTAppian DeveloperVIC
- CCField Engineer - POSTAS
- FTAgile Coach / Training & Support ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCMicrosoft Business Intelligence (BI) ConsultantNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- CCService Lead - Cloud hosting and storageNSW