- Easy to use, good DVD upscaling
- Occasional display flaws in standard-definition DVD playback, features may not satisfy advanced users
A simple and affordable upscaling DVD player, the DV298H may not provide the extra features for advanced users, but beginners will be more than satisfied.
Price$ 174.00 (AUD)
The LG DV298H DVD player is an attractive and affordable solution for those looking for an easy to use, upscaling DVD player. Despite not delivering high-end performance or true, 1080p upscaling, the DV298's ease of use, attractive design, and highly competitive price point make it a very attractive player for beginners.
DVD quality on this player is fairly respectable, but we did notice occasional display aberrations and minor artefacts during testing, although these were relatively uncommon. The player's upscaling capability, which converts the low resolution DVD image to a higher, 720p or 1080i resolution high definition image, is quite respectable. Upscaling removed most display flaws in our tests, and provided a sharper, clearer picture. Owners of 'HD ready' TVs (i.e. those that can support a 720p signal at native resolution) will be happy to know that they'll be able to enjoy their DVD collection in high definition with the DV298H.
The interface is a simple affair, and quite easy to operate. Our only gripe is a slight issue with menu layout, whereby adjusting one particular value covers the values of others in the same category. A minor annoyance at most, the interface is otherwise intuitive and easily navigated.
Design is quite a big feature on the DV298H, which boasts not only the now-standard "slim-line" profile, but also a much shallower case, making it a more convenient addition to the living room for those with limited space. An attractive black case and a smallish but well laid out remote control help to round out the design as simple, yet successful. The front panel houses an OLED display and power and eject buttons, whilst connections on the back panel include composite, component, coaxial, optical, S-Video and HDMI; everything most users should need.
Although it's not a powerhouse unit, or a convergent masterpiece that performs multiple functions at once, the DV298 is a well designed player that performs a single function quite respectably. And at this price, we can definitely see it being a popular product for those looking for a no-fuss, upscaling DVD player.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTC# / ASP.NET DeveloperSA
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- FTDigital Business Analyst X 2 vacancies- Digital TransformationNSW
- FTTest LeadNSW
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- FTSOE Team LeaderNSW
- FTApplication Team Lead - ERP & Microsoft TechnologiesNSW
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistVIC
- FTNetwork Services ManagerQLD
- FTField Services EngineerWA
- FTInfrastructure ArchitectWA
- FTAEM Architect - Blue Chip organisationNSW
- FTSoftware Development ManagerACT
- TPSQL Server Developer | 3 month contract |NSW
- FTApplication Security SpecialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC
- CCProcurement OfficerQLD
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!NSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- FTChief Security OfficerNSW
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractNSW