- SecurDisc technology
- Slower burns with SecurDisc turned on
You're paying a $12 premium for the extra security and, even if you never use any of the SecurDisc facilities, this remains a very impressive model. But as a means of securing your privacy and keeping tabs on the quality of your media, SecurDisc is great. You only need it to work its magic once and that extra cost will prove priceless.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Today's ultra cautious PC user may be able to offer their system plenty of protection through security software, backup drives and interruptible power supplies, but there are still a number of areas that even the most paranoid cannot reach. Take DVDs, for instance. The typical disc can be picked up and accessed by almost anyone passing by your desk. And should you be sent a DVD through the post, how do you know it's what it purports to be? Here's a drive that has a few rather convincing answers for these issues.
The LG GSA-H55N comes kitted out with SecurDisc technology. Using the specially adapted version of Ahead Nero, you can switch on a number of features as part as the burn process. Password protection can also be activated. A nice touch is the way Ahead Nero assesses the complexity of your password - the more characters and digits you use, the harder it will be to guess.
While you're there, you might want to create a digital signature. This is saved as a file which can be stashed away or emailed to any recipients of the DVD. If they want to be certain that the disk has come from you, they can get the DVD to check itself against the signature.
But the LG isn't just about keeping your data safe. You can also protect the disk from being duplicated, while the integrity check feature lets you assess media for deterioration. Should the data on the disk be in imminent danger of getting corrupted, you have advance notice to move the contents to safety. These features are nice, but they're costly. With all the SecurDisc settings turned on, it took almost double the time to burn 3GB to disk.
Even when used as a normal DVD writer, the GSA-H55N is exceptional. Its 20-speed DVD-R/+R facilities are exceptional, and when you combine these with 12-speed DVD-RAM and 10-speed DVD-RW/+RW, this is clearly a fantastic product.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Intel will provide early access to fast Optane SSDs via the cloud
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- CCData/ Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Environment ManagerNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCWeb Content SpecialistNSW
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCData ModellerACT