- Price, design, features list, microSD memory slot
- Proprietary headphone jack, speed of interface
LG's KG290 is an ideal phone for an entry-level user thanks to a decent features list and a compact design.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
As many new mobile phones continue to parade all the bells and whistles of the latest technology, it's difficult to believe they were originally built for the simple purpose of making a telephone call. LG has kept it simple with its latest KG290, a sleek and stylish handset that features all the basics – right down to the ultra-competitive price tag.
The slider KG290 is certainly compact and fits nicely in the palm of your hands. The design is fairly standard, but it is comfortable to operate thanks to a spring operated slider and well positioned controls. A five-way navigational pad bears the grunt of the work and although the keypad takes a little bit of effort to press, it's fine for punching out long messages. The KG290 also has dedicated camera and volume buttons on its left side.
Voice quality is excellent, though we would have preferred it to be a little louder at the highest volume setting. Sound on the whole is clear and sharp though, and the handsfree speakerphone also works flawlessly.
Despite being an entry level model, the KG290 still manages to boast a number of handy features, including Bluetooth 2.0 and an audio and video player. Conveniently, LG has included a microSD card memory slot – a feature usually overlooked on handsets commanding such a small asking price. Although no card is included in the sales package and the slot is located in an annoying position underneath the battery, it's still a sweet deal.
Unfortunately, the MP3 player is let down by LG's insistence on a proprietary headphone jack, though sound quality is passable without being outstanding. An FM radio and voice recorder are nice additions while the 1.3-megapixel camera also doubles as a video recorder. Photos taken are good enough for the odd wallpaper snapshot but obviously not much else.
A simple grid layout for the main menu and list layout for submenus makes the KG290 a joy to use. One complaint is with speed: quickly scrolling through lists or searching through the menu often results in some short lag that quickly becomes frustrating. A range of PIM functions – consisting of an alarm clock, calendar, calculator, memo to-do list, stopwatch, converter and world time – round out the features list.
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- 5G progress at Ericsson could help enterprises work worldwide
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPTechnical Support Resource-Skype for BusinessVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerNSW
- FTConsultant Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Project Manager - ReinsuranceNSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Cyber SecurityACT
- FTIT Project Coordinator - Mascot/AlexandriaNSW
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)QLD
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTAnalyst Programmer (Natural/Adabas)SA
- FTFull Stack Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- TPSoftware EngineerWA
- TPTechnical Report EditorQLD
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD