- Twin HD tuner, 160 Gb HDD, good picture quality, HDMI
- Dividing recorded segments very slow, no USB
A good option if you want to record HD TV and can live without the minor shortcomings.
Price$ 1,124.00 (AUD)
The LST-5402P is a dual HD tuner set top box with a 160GB internal hard drive. It has a few minor problems, including slow on-screen editing and some small recording issues, but for those after a HD set top box with hard disk recording capabilities, this device is a good bet.
Recording can be done via the timer or manually, and both are fairly easy to do. As this is a twin tuner device, two channels can be recorded at the same, as you would expect, but both channels can not be recorded via the timer if the programs overlap. Therefore, in those circumstances at least one program has to be recorded manually.
The timeshift function also works well with no lag present when pausing and replaying live TV. When play is pressed again the recorded sections begins a few seconds before the time 'pause' was pressed - a handy inclusion if you missed a few vital seconds of viewing while scrambling to find the remote.
There are 20 slots for timer recording which should be ample for most people. You are given some minor editing options on the device itself, including cropping and combining, but these functions took a ridiculously long time to perform. Renaming and sorting recordings after this painful task however, was straightforward. We found the quality of recorded video to be quite good, and while there were some minor compression artifacts, for the most part video was smooth and sharp.
Picture-in-picture mode works well and a convenient 'swap' button lets you switch back and forth between the two channels. We found that once or twice when switching between channels there was slight audio sync problem, but it didn't pose much of an issue as this was corrected automatically within a few seconds.
The mildly transparent menu system and the remote are well laid out and easy to use, although the remote is a tad on the large side. The LCD display on the unit itself also scrolls to display the channel title, which is always a valued inclusion.
There is no USB port included, meaning your files are stuck on the device. However there are a host of other connections that should satisfy most users, including two composite, a component, RGB, s-video, HDMI as well as a coaxial and optical audio output.
While there are some minor shortcomings, if these don't bother you too much the LST-5402P is an appealing HD hard disk recorder.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPMicrosoft Analyst ProgrammerSA
- TPIT Project Manager - Office relocationVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorACT
- CCNetwork Engineer/ Network AdministratorQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- CCGun Java Developer wanted...VIC
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- TPProject Manager to manage two concurrent ProjectsQLD
- TPImplementation Business Partner - Business ModernisationNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCService Desk Analyst - TelcoTAS
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- CCProject Manager (Event Management)NSW
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCSecurity Analyst - multiple rolesACT
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT