- Twin HD tuner, 160 Gb HDD, good picture quality, HDMI
- Dividing recorded segments very slow, no USB
A good option if you want to record HD TV and can live without the minor shortcomings.
Price$ 1,124.00 (AUD)
The LST-5402P is a dual HD tuner set top box with a 160GB internal hard drive. It has a few minor problems, including slow on-screen editing and some small recording issues, but for those after a HD set top box with hard disk recording capabilities, this device is a good bet.
Recording can be done via the timer or manually, and both are fairly easy to do. As this is a twin tuner device, two channels can be recorded at the same, as you would expect, but both channels can not be recorded via the timer if the programs overlap. Therefore, in those circumstances at least one program has to be recorded manually.
The timeshift function also works well with no lag present when pausing and replaying live TV. When play is pressed again the recorded sections begins a few seconds before the time 'pause' was pressed - a handy inclusion if you missed a few vital seconds of viewing while scrambling to find the remote.
There are 20 slots for timer recording which should be ample for most people. You are given some minor editing options on the device itself, including cropping and combining, but these functions took a ridiculously long time to perform. Renaming and sorting recordings after this painful task however, was straightforward. We found the quality of recorded video to be quite good, and while there were some minor compression artifacts, for the most part video was smooth and sharp.
Picture-in-picture mode works well and a convenient 'swap' button lets you switch back and forth between the two channels. We found that once or twice when switching between channels there was slight audio sync problem, but it didn't pose much of an issue as this was corrected automatically within a few seconds.
The mildly transparent menu system and the remote are well laid out and easy to use, although the remote is a tad on the large side. The LCD display on the unit itself also scrolls to display the channel title, which is always a valued inclusion.
There is no USB port included, meaning your files are stuck on the device. However there are a host of other connections that should satisfy most users, including two composite, a component, RGB, s-video, HDMI as well as a coaxial and optical audio output.
While there are some minor shortcomings, if these don't bother you too much the LST-5402P is an appealing HD hard disk recorder.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Obama signs legislation allowing regulatory e-labels for smartphones, wearables
- WD TV (2014 Personal Edition) review: Big screen fun
- Pressure mounts in Europe for strict net neutrality
- Windows tablets available for under $100
- Use Uber? Snapchat? Google Maps? Now Twitter knows
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC