LG Optimus Pad Android tablet (preview)
LG Optimus Pad preview: The LG Optimus Pad comes with an 8.9in touchscreen and a built-in 3D camera
- 3D camera, 8.9in capacitive touchscreen, records 1080p HD video, HDMI-out, Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Requires glasses to view 3D content, no confirmed Australian release
LG has attempted to distinguish the Optimus Pad from the wealth of 7in and 10in Android tablets by using a 8.9in touchscreen display. It is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera, enabling users to capture 3D images and videos that can then be viewed on a high-definition 3D TV.
The LG Optimus Pad has a 8.9in touchscreen display. The capacitive screen has a resolution of 1280x768, and LG claims the screen size will let the tablet be held in one hand, unlike larger, iPad-style tablets. The rumoured iPad 2 is tipped to have the same sized 9.7in display as the current iPad.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet has a built-in 3D camera, but unlike LG's Optimus 3D smartphone, the screen can't display 3D images without the aid of 3D glasses. Images and high-definition 1080p video taken with the Optimus Pad's 5-megapixel 3D camera can be viewed on 3D TVs or shared on the Web via YouTube 3D. The Optimus Pad also has a 2-megapixel front camera for video calls.
The LG Optimus Pad runs the latest version of Google's Android platform — 3.0 Honeycomb — which has specifically been designed for tablet devices. LG has stated the software will not come with any UI additions and will instead by a "vanilla" version of the Honeycomb OS. Key features of Android 3.0 Honeycomb include tabbed Web browsing, support for 3D graphics, added enterprise features like encrypted storage, a redesigned keyboard, and completely redesigned interface that aims to take advantage of the larger tablet screen.
The LG Optimus Pad is powered by a 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and has 32GB of internal memory, as well as a microSD card slot for extra storage. It has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, a HDMI-out port, and uses a standard microUSB port for charging and synchronising.
The LG Optimus Pad has not been confirmed for an Australia release, but will begin shipping in worldwide markets starting in March.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's flagship tablet and 4GB of Internet from $42 a month
- The iPad mini 4's display shrugs off ambient light like a champ, says DisplayMate
- Apple’s neglected iPad gets the upgrade it deserves
- iPad Mini 4 teardown: Shrunken battery, double RAM
- Apple iPhone 6s, iPad Pro & Apple TV: The bullet points
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW