thats a classy pad..love the 3D camera
LG Optimus Pad Android tablet (preview)
LG Optimus Pad preview: The LG Optimus Pad comes with an 8.9in touchscreen and a built-in 3D camera
- 3D camera, 8.9in capacitive touchscreen, records 1080p HD video, HDMI-out, Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Requires glasses to view 3D content, no confirmed Australian release
LG has attempted to distinguish the Optimus Pad from the wealth of 7in and 10in Android tablets by using a 8.9in touchscreen display. It is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera.
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera, enabling users to capture 3D images and videos that can then be viewed on a high-definition 3D TV.
The LG Optimus Pad has a 8.9in touchscreen display. The capacitive screen has a resolution of 1280x768, and LG claims the screen size will let the tablet be held in one hand, unlike larger, iPad-style tablets. The rumoured iPad 2 is tipped to have the same sized 9.7in display as the current iPad.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet has a built-in 3D camera, but unlike LG's Optimus 3D smartphone, the screen can't display 3D images without the aid of 3D glasses. Images and high-definition 1080p video taken with the Optimus Pad's 5-megapixel 3D camera can be viewed on 3D TVs or shared on the Web via YouTube 3D. The Optimus Pad also has a 2-megapixel front camera for video calls.
The LG Optimus Pad runs the latest version of Google's Android platform — 3.0 Honeycomb — which has specifically been designed for tablet devices. LG has stated the software will not come with any UI additions and will instead by a "vanilla" version of the Honeycomb OS. Key features of Android 3.0 Honeycomb include tabbed Web browsing, support for 3D graphics, added enterprise features like encrypted storage, a redesigned keyboard, and completely redesigned interface that aims to take advantage of the larger tablet screen.
The LG Optimus Pad is powered by a 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and has 32GB of internal memory, as well as a microSD card slot for extra storage. It has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, a HDMI-out port, and uses a standard microUSB port for charging and synchronising.
The LG Optimus Pad has not been confirmed for an Australia release, but will begin shipping in worldwide markets starting in March.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung's Galaxy Alpha review: A peek into the Galaxy S6
- 2 Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro hybrid Ultrabook
- 3 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 4 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 5 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Breaking up Google is just one possible antritrust option, EU lawmakers say
- 'Less' means more to malware authors targeting Linux users
- UK plans to introduce new Web snooping law
- NXP opens wallet to build wearables with better battery life
- Apple iPad Mini 3 review: Paying top dollar for yesterday's tech
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Echuca AreaVIC
- FTPartnership Manager - MediaNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTSEO Content ExecutiveVIC
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCTech Support | IT Services Firm - Ad hoc Projects - Port Augusta / Whyalla AreaSA
- FTDigital Account ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTProgram Manager - Integration & SolutionsNSW