thats a classy pad..love the 3D camera
LG Optimus Pad Android tablet (preview)
LG Optimus Pad preview: The LG Optimus Pad comes with an 8.9in touchscreen and a built-in 3D camera
- 3D camera, 8.9in capacitive touchscreen, records 1080p HD video, HDMI-out, Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Requires glasses to view 3D content, no confirmed Australian release
LG has attempted to distinguish the Optimus Pad from the wealth of 7in and 10in Android tablets by using a 8.9in touchscreen display. It is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera.
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- Optimus L7 299.00
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera, enabling users to capture 3D images and videos that can then be viewed on a high-definition 3D TV.
The LG Optimus Pad has a 8.9in touchscreen display. The capacitive screen has a resolution of 1280x768, and LG claims the screen size will let the tablet be held in one hand, unlike larger, iPad-style tablets. The rumoured iPad 2 is tipped to have the same sized 9.7in display as the current iPad.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet has a built-in 3D camera, but unlike LG's Optimus 3D smartphone, the screen can't display 3D images without the aid of 3D glasses. Images and high-definition 1080p video taken with the Optimus Pad's 5-megapixel 3D camera can be viewed on 3D TVs or shared on the Web via YouTube 3D. The Optimus Pad also has a 2-megapixel front camera for video calls.
The LG Optimus Pad runs the latest version of Google's Android platform — 3.0 Honeycomb — which has specifically been designed for tablet devices. LG has stated the software will not come with any UI additions and will instead by a "vanilla" version of the Honeycomb OS. Key features of Android 3.0 Honeycomb include tabbed Web browsing, support for 3D graphics, added enterprise features like encrypted storage, a redesigned keyboard, and completely redesigned interface that aims to take advantage of the larger tablet screen.
The LG Optimus Pad is powered by a 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and has 32GB of internal memory, as well as a microSD card slot for extra storage. It has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, a HDMI-out port, and uses a standard microUSB port for charging and synchronising.
The LG Optimus Pad has not been confirmed for an Australia release, but will begin shipping in worldwide markets starting in March.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
- Ericsson's WebRTC browser available for download from the App Store
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW