LG Optimus Pad Android tablet (preview)
LG Optimus Pad preview: The LG Optimus Pad comes with an 8.9in touchscreen and a built-in 3D camera
- 3D camera, 8.9in capacitive touchscreen, records 1080p HD video, HDMI-out, Android 3.0 Honeycomb
- Requires glasses to view 3D content, no confirmed Australian release
LG has attempted to distinguish the Optimus Pad from the wealth of 7in and 10in Android tablets by using a 8.9in touchscreen display. It is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet is the world's first tablet with a built-in 3D camera, enabling users to capture 3D images and videos that can then be viewed on a high-definition 3D TV.
The LG Optimus Pad has a 8.9in touchscreen display. The capacitive screen has a resolution of 1280x768, and LG claims the screen size will let the tablet be held in one hand, unlike larger, iPad-style tablets. The rumoured iPad 2 is tipped to have the same sized 9.7in display as the current iPad.
The LG Optimus Pad Android tablet has a built-in 3D camera, but unlike LG's Optimus 3D smartphone, the screen can't display 3D images without the aid of 3D glasses. Images and high-definition 1080p video taken with the Optimus Pad's 5-megapixel 3D camera can be viewed on 3D TVs or shared on the Web via YouTube 3D. The Optimus Pad also has a 2-megapixel front camera for video calls.
The LG Optimus Pad runs the latest version of Google's Android platform — 3.0 Honeycomb — which has specifically been designed for tablet devices. LG has stated the software will not come with any UI additions and will instead by a "vanilla" version of the Honeycomb OS. Key features of Android 3.0 Honeycomb include tabbed Web browsing, support for 3D graphics, added enterprise features like encrypted storage, a redesigned keyboard, and completely redesigned interface that aims to take advantage of the larger tablet screen.
The LG Optimus Pad is powered by a 1GHz dual-core NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor and has 32GB of internal memory, as well as a microSD card slot for extra storage. It has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, a HDMI-out port, and uses a standard microUSB port for charging and synchronising.
The LG Optimus Pad has not been confirmed for an Australia release, but will begin shipping in worldwide markets starting in March.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Slump continues as tablet markets records worst quarter since 2012
- Acer puts liquid cooling in its Switch Alpha 12 tablet
- Intel's tablet adventure looking more like its netbook disaster
- Display expert: The 9.7-inch iPad Pro's color accuracy is “visually indistinguishable from perfect”
- 9.7-inch iPad Pro teardown reveals iPhone 6s Plus camera and 2GB of RAM
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCService Desk AnaystNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCOracle iLearning Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - BPRNSW
- CCField Network Engineer - GSM Networks.VIC
- CCSystems Trainer - Networking/ RadioVIC
- CCSystem Engineer (DevOps)WA
- CCBusiness System Analyst - FinanceVIC
- CCDynamics CRM DeveloperNSW
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst- BPMN, Testing backgroundNSW
- CCSenior Change Manager, Financial ServicesNSW
- FTEnvironments Lead (Linux/ Automation)VIC
- CCSenior Developer - AWS Cloud HSMNSW
- FTStorage ConsultantACT
- CCTechnology and Security ArchitectACT
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCSnr IT Project Manager - Contact CentreVIC
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - Marketing and Distribution systemsNSW
- CCSAP Business Analyst - FinanceNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, LifeNSW
- CCEnvironment Manager - POSVIC
- CCMaster Scheduler - IT Infrastructure ProgramsNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia