LG Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter (BE06)
HD-DVD and Blu-ray in a single package
- Can be used on any desktop PC or notebook, supports HD-DVD playback in addition to Blu-ray, can write to Blu-ray discs, attractive design
- It doesn't have LightScribe or SecurDisc (but they aren't essential features)
It looks great, and it supports virtually every optical media format that's present on the market today. While it's capable of playing Blu-ray and HD-DVD discs, as well as writing Blu-ray discs, it doesn't compromise on DVD and CD write speeds.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
You know technology moves fast when a brand new optical drive is released to market and one of its main features is an obsolete disc format! It's easy to make jokes about the demise of HD-DVD, but it's not all bad news for the format — there are still a few movies to buy at bargain prices (for example, Amazon has a small selection). Home entertainment enthusiasts will appreciate the BE06 for being an external, high-definition optical drive that will play any disc you throw at it, and which can also write to Blu-ray discs.
Because it's an external drive with a USB 2.0 interface, it doesn't have to be confined to a single PC: you can use it on every PC and notebook that you own. You'll have to install the supplied video playback software (CyberLink Hi-Def Suite) on each computer, and you'll have to make sure that your computers are powerful enough to handle high-definition decoding. This drive is definitely a good way to enter the age of high-definition video playback, not mention high-capacity optical data storage.
It played HD-DVD and Blu-ray movies without problems through the supplied CyberLink software, and it had no problems copying CDs and burnt DVDs. The great thing about the BE06 is that it can be used to burn to BD-R and BD-RE discs. However, BD-R discs are still very expensive (they work out to be approximately $1.28 per gigabyte) so they aren't yet a cost-effective way of archiving data. Nevertheless, it's convenient to burn one hit of 25GB of data, rather than six lots of 4GB or even three lots of 8GB. BD-RE discs are even more expensive (approximately $1.76 per gigabyte). Of course, if you are shooting high-definition video footage, then this drive will definitely be worth it, as you can store just over two hours of video encoded at 24Mbps.
It'll burn Blu-ray data at 6x, as long as the discs you use are capable of being written at that speed. For BD-RE discs, the burn rate is 2x. This was shown in our tests: the drive wrote 11GB of data to a BD-RE disc at a rate of 9.1MBps (megabytes per second). For DVD and CD burning, the drive's speeds are almost as good as a stand-alone burner: it'll burn DVDs at a rate of 16x, which means a 4GB disc will finish burning in around 6min, and it'll burn CDs at a rate of 40x, which means a full disc will finish in just over 3min.
Physically, the BE06 really stands out. It has a slanted bezel and a feather-touch eject button. It definitely looks classy, and LG supplies a stand with it so you can position on your desk either flat or upright. It weighs about 1.5kg with its power supply, and it ships with all the software and cables you need to get it running straight out of the box. For $549, it's probably the best value external high-definition burner on the market and its ability to play HD-DVDs is definitely useful.
For Blu-ray playback you will need an HDCP-capable graphics card and monitor, as well as a decent dual-core CPU. The drive itself is HDCP-capable.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Samsung’s massive 15TB SSD can be yours -- for about $10K
- WD's new external drive is the first self-contained, fully portable Plex media server
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTCloud EngineerVIC
- FTNetwork Infrastructure SpecialistSA
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Linux/MySQL) 1600803/SA/255Asia
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCService Design AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - IntegrationSA
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCProject Support Officer (Project Scheduler)WA
- FTRuby on Rails DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM Solution ArchitectVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst / BillingNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160729/P/698Asia
- CCCRM DeveloperACT
- FTProgram Master SchedulerVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst (NON-IT)WA
- CCSenior Systems AdministratorQLD
- CCCisco CCIE Certified Network EngineerWA
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCEnterprise Data Business AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CC.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT