Lightbox Photo Lightbox Photo
Lightbox Photo is a server-based software tool that allows you to create your own image-sales site.
- A simple way to sell your artwork online, no commission, customisable to fit with your current site
- Most users will need to purchase higher-end versions for just a few of their features, site design requires coding
Lightbox Photo is a great idea that allows illustrators to avoid paying commission to a stock library — but the arrangement of features into the different versions is seriously flawed.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
Lightbox Photo is a server-based software tool that allows you to create your own image-sales site. It was originally designed to allow photographers to set up their own stock libraries rather than signing with Corbis or Getty – but it will interest Digital Arts readers who want a quick and easy way to sell their artwork as royalty-free or rights-managed digital files, or as physical art pieces, even in frames.
The software sits on your Web server, which for most readers will be at your hosting company, and is available in Linux, Mac and Windows versions. The company can host the software for you for a modest cost of between US$40 and $80 a month. Which platform you have makes no difference, as all setup and administration is performed through your Web browser.
There are three versions: Standard, Professional and Enterprise. Standard, for freelance artists, allows you to create galleries, upload, host and sell your work, arrange images, and accept payment by PayPal and similar.
The Professional version is aimed at small studios or collectives and adds improved searching tools (including support for IPTC metadata) and tools for multiple administrators with different privileges. However, it includes tools that most freelancers will require too. These include tools for offline payment — for invoicing, or so a buyer could pay by cheque — and shipping options for physical products.
The Enterprise version includes the ability to administrate multiple artists, use a credits system and offer subscriptions. However, there are features available here that all users selling physical work would prefer to have, such as the ability to offer sets of images or offer frames. You can do without these by creating multiple product entries (one with a frame, one without), but these features in the Enterprise version could save a lot of time.
Setting up a site is time-consuming — you have to upload artworks individually, unless you have the Enterprise version — and modifying how your site looks beyond simple changes requires writing code (though you could do this in Dreamweaver).
It’s no more difficult than designing a blog, though, and Lightbox Photo offers a template design service.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Google Maps for Android adds 'OK Google' voice, navigation commands and other search tricks
- NBN ditches Optus HFC for FTTdp
- Analysts laud and lance new Microsoft browser armor
- Apple's Siri-powered Amazon Echo rival reportedly hits the prototype phase
- Hackers have a treasure trove of data with the Yahoo breach
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Infrastrcture Project ManagerACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW