Linksys Wireless G Gaming Adapter
- Extremely easy to set up, Good performance
- None to speak of
A great device for connecting your online gaming devices to your wireless network with no fuss.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
The Linksys Wireless G Gaming Adapter is by far the easiest wireless device we have ever used. The adapter is used to transfer data from your wireless internet connection to your game console to allow online gaming. Its simple set up earns it kudos and its quality earns it respect from our test team. The unit is black, which always appeals to gamers, and can be connected to any device with an ethernet port.
This makes it a friend to the Xbox and PlayStation 2 as well as the usual PC gaming connections. The unit comes with an already assembled antenna, a power adapter and an ethernet cable. Setting it up for first use involves plugging the Ethernet cable from the port in the back of the device to the ethernet port on a PC. Once this connection is made all you need to do is insert the installation CD and follow the on-screen prompts.
The software will ask the gamer what the purpose of the wireless receiver is and automatically configures the device for the intended use. Then, all that is required is to plug it into a console or PC.
In the wireless arena, a setup this simple is very rare and the fact that it works so well once connected is another plus. On a wired network via the D-Link 504T ADSL2+ router our tests rendered no packet loss over Xbox Live! with an average ping time of 202ms. Using the Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter we did not see any difference with both the wired and wireless tests rendering identical results. The same comparisons were made on the PlayStation 2 and again, there was no difference in signal quality between the wired and wireless connections.
When using the Gaming Adapter for PCs, the results are also favourable but while it is easy to set up, most people would probably prefer to use a proper router for their wireless gaming as it more easily controlled and tweaked for even the slightest improvement in performance.
As it stands, the Linksys is perfect for people who know nothing about wireless networking and just want something to play their Xbox Live! service without any time and effort in the set up. We are greatly impressed with this product and have no issues recommending it for use.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- A third of all PC gamers on Steam use Windows 10
- Film Victoria backs women in gaming with new fellowships
- Nintendo kicks off 2016 with new Zelda release and new 3DS
- Expensive gaming desktops and laptops thrive in slumping PC market
- The PS4 is the fastest selling console in Sony’s history
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS.Net/Visual Basic) 160129/AP/vtdAsia
- CCSystems AnalystQLD
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCHybris Developer - Global Digital AgencyNSW
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CCInformation Security ManagerNSW
- CCSQL DeveloperVIC
- CCETL DeveloperNSW
- CCInformation ArchitectQLD
- CCHigh Level Network Engineer (Communications)WA
- FTJunior Developer | C#, MVC & SQL | Class FinanceNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Intelligence AnalystVIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst / PMO LeadVIC
- FTSecurity ArchitectWA
- CCAndroid and iOS DevelopersVIC
- FTProject Manager | Defence projects | NV1/NV2 cleared | Canberra basedACT
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- CCWintel Support EngineerNSW
- CCOracle Project OfficerSA
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW