Linksys Wireless G Gaming Adapter
- Extremely easy to set up, Good performance
- None to speak of
A great device for connecting your online gaming devices to your wireless network with no fuss.
Price$ 109.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 3 stores)
The Linksys Wireless G Gaming Adapter is by far the easiest wireless device we have ever used. The adapter is used to transfer data from your wireless internet connection to your game console to allow online gaming. Its simple set up earns it kudos and its quality earns it respect from our test team. The unit is black, which always appeals to gamers, and can be connected to any device with an ethernet port.
This makes it a friend to the Xbox and PlayStation 2 as well as the usual PC gaming connections. The unit comes with an already assembled antenna, a power adapter and an ethernet cable. Setting it up for first use involves plugging the Ethernet cable from the port in the back of the device to the ethernet port on a PC. Once this connection is made all you need to do is insert the installation CD and follow the on-screen prompts.
The software will ask the gamer what the purpose of the wireless receiver is and automatically configures the device for the intended use. Then, all that is required is to plug it into a console or PC.
In the wireless arena, a setup this simple is very rare and the fact that it works so well once connected is another plus. On a wired network via the D-Link 504T ADSL2+ router our tests rendered no packet loss over Xbox Live! with an average ping time of 202ms. Using the Linksys Wireless Gaming Adapter we did not see any difference with both the wired and wireless tests rendering identical results. The same comparisons were made on the PlayStation 2 and again, there was no difference in signal quality between the wired and wireless connections.
When using the Gaming Adapter for PCs, the results are also favourable but while it is easy to set up, most people would probably prefer to use a proper router for their wireless gaming as it more easily controlled and tweaked for even the slightest improvement in performance.
As it stands, the Linksys is perfect for people who know nothing about wireless networking and just want something to play their Xbox Live! service without any time and effort in the set up. We are greatly impressed with this product and have no issues recommending it for use.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- EA delays Need for Speed's PC edition to deliver more speed
- This week in PC gaming: Cliff Bleszinski’s LawBreakers defies gravity, XCOM 2 defies release
- Pac-Man Championship Edition DX evolves the classic formula—and puts it into overdrive
- Assassin's Creed Syndicate hands-on: Top-hats, bobbies, and a bit o' ultraviolence
- Angry Birds 2 is the 'sequel' you've been waiting for
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW