Liquid Digital Solutions Agent V5 Full HD webcam
A stylish HD webcam with great video quality
- Excellent picture quality, extensive list of special features, works with a range of operating systems, good video recording quality
- Bulky design, bland software interface, no video compression, significant lag when recording at high resolution
With its high quality picture and recording capabilities, it’s hard to not consider the Agent V5 as a viable webcam option — just make sure you have enough room for it on your desktop.
Price$ 119.95 (AUD)
Liquid Digital Solutions' Agent V5 is a 5-megapixel webcam that can record video at a Full HD resolution. It combines great picture quality with a highly arresting design, though fans of compact webcams will probably want to look elsewhere.
The Agent V5 webcam has an unusual cylindrical shape and is coated with a chrome finish that reveals fingerprints every time it’s touched — this could prove to be quite annoying for those who are constantly adjusting the angle of their webcams.
The webcam has been equipped with an external adjustable lens that users can twist to adjust the focus of the image. Users also have the option of purchasing an aGent/iSight adaptor and there is an array of lens options that can be attached. The webcam became noticeably warm after just an hour of use, which potentially could affect the unit’s reliability over prolonged periods of time.
Although the V5 installs automatically when plugged in, software is provided. When installing the software, we experienced a few hiccups — it wasn’t until our third attempt that the installation was successful. Although the webcam does install instantly, the computer still needs to be reset in order for the webcam to register third-party applications such as Windows Live Messenger.
Despite the blandness of the software interface and the struggle to locate settings, there is an extensive list of novelty features and backgrounds users can apply to the image. It also incorporates face tracking; this allows the webcam to accurately focus on your face and lets you use of novelty features such as substituting an animal’s head in place of your own, or having your face appear in computer generated environments.
The software gives users the option of adjusting the resolution (up to 2560x2048), frame rate and refresh rate (either 50Hz or 60Hz) when recording videos. The video output is great when recording at the full 5-megapixel resolution, but there are some major let-downs. When the resolution is set to anything over 1280x1024 the frames begin to lag excessively. Also, when recording at a resolution of only 640x480, a 16-second video equated to a massive 272MB in disk space — this could be an issue for those who are looking to buy the webcam for video recording purposes. However, when using the webcam to take still photos at the same resolution, they averaged around 40KB a shot.
The Agent V5 comes equipped with three types of stands (desktop stand, LCD clip and a notebook clip), an extensive manual that gives step-by-step directions for both PCs and Macs, the driver software, a carry pouch and a cord wrap. The webcam is compatible with most platforms; it's plug-and-play compatible with Mac OSX10.4.3, Windows XP SP2, Vista and even Windows 7.
The Agent V5 HD webcam certainly has a stylish design and is practical for online chatting and taking photos. Despite the excellent quality of the video recording, the large file sizes may make people think twice before buying.
The Agent V5 HD webcam is available from the Liquid Digital Solution website with free shipping worldwide. For more information, visit www.agent.liquiddigital.com.au.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
- Netflix loosens up streaming video, letting users choose their cellular speed limit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTLinux System EngineersNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCExcel DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCSenior BA - Enterprise DataNSW
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCProject Manager/Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCProgram Business AnalystVIC
- CCDomain Specialist | Multiple RolesVIC
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- FTPega Operation Engineer - CEPNSW
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- FTImplementation / Deployment Specialist- Web Sphere, ESB, IIBNSW
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- FTInfrastructure Specialist - Sec Ops Network & OSAsia
- CCIT Assistant (Office Automation/Windows) 160517/ITA/884Asia
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCBusiness AnalystACT