Lite-On iHOS104 Blu-ray drive
The Lite-On iHOS104 is an internal, budget-priced, SATA BD-ROM drive
- Can't burn DVDs or CDs
If you want to add strong Blu-ray – and high-quality DVD – playback to your system, but don’t want to pay a hefty price, the Lite-On iHOS104 should prove $149 very well spent.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
What do you do if all you want is to watch Blu-ray films on your PC? Well, you could do a lot worse than slipping in the Lite-On iHOS104 budget-priced BD-ROM drive.
The key to the Lite-On iHOS104's low price is its read-only credentials - in every department. Whereas more expensive BD-ROM drives roll in the ability to write to DVD and CD blank media, Lite-On has reasoned that you don't want to pay extra for duplicating facilities; you'll almost certainly already have a good DVD writer to run alongside the Lite-On. And even cheap dedicated DVD writers tend to have vastly superior write speeds to those offered by BD-capable drives.
So, the Lite-On iHOS104 can still play DVDs. But you're unlikely to be buying it for those reasons. Instead, you'll be wanting it for its strong quad-speed Blu-ray playback. The drive slots easily into the case, and its polished bezel gives it a distinctive look. Install the bundled CyberLink PowerDVD 8.0 BD software, and you're ready to start watching films in high-definition.
There's little sign of the Lite-On iHOS104's low price tag in the quality of the playback. Our test movies ran smoothly and with no glitches, with video always looking vivid but realistic.
CyberLink seems to be the choice of the majority of Blu-ray manufacturers, and it's quite understandable given the slick and logical interface. Its TrueTheater technology even makes a stab at upscaling standard-definition DVD video to high-definition quality.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCETL DeveloperACT
- CCContract Programmer (Data/File Backup Technology) 160826/P/283Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst - GeneralVIC
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCIT Program Manager - TelecommunicationsNSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTJava Tech Lead - Full StackNSW
- FTIT Security & Risk ManagerNSW
- CCContract Programmer (IT Security/Website Admin.) 160824/P/567Asia
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (CISCO/Firewall/Network) 160819/SA/423Asia
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCChange / Project ManagerVIC