- Great CD performance
- Slow, somewhat unreliable DVD writing
We recommend this drive for users who are after excellent CD based performance but aren't too fussed about DVD performance.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
LiteOn drives generally cut the mustard quite well in our reviews, even though they can be loud and clumsy looking. They are often the enthusiast's drive of choice due to the availability of a utility that lets users change the book-type of DVD media, forcing DVD-R, DVD+R or DVD+R DL discs to be burnt as DVD-ROM discs in a bid to make them readable in players that generally don't accept those discs.
If you plan to burn DVD+R DL discs with this drive, then you will require a lot of patience. Our 2.4X DVD+R DL discs took over 44 minutes to complete, even though Nero reported a 4X transfer rate during the burn. Single layer burns were also quite slow, and this drive was not capable of burning to our 8X DVD-R discs at 8X; instead the maximum transfer rate it could use on these discs was 6X. Nero CD/DVD Speed reported this drive to be using the CAV method for writing and reading. It also produced a "coaster" during our DVD+R burning test.
A test of dual layer burning produced a disc that could not be read in our old Pioneer 106D DVD burner. It was picked up without problems in our Zensonic Z330 media player, though.
It wasn't all gloom for this drive though, as it produced some of the finest CD burning and reading results in our tests.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
- Seagate crams a massive 5TB into a portable hard drive
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTLife/400 Developers / Programmers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- TPProject CoordintorVIC
- FTRegional Sales Manager - Telco/ICT - Employer of choiceQLD
- FTAutomation Test Analyst - APS 6 non-ongoingACT
- FTIOS DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTSecurity Incident / SOC Analyst (Tier 1) - Permanent - North Ryde BasedNSW
- CCPerformance TesterACT
- FTTechnology Testing Co-ordinatorVIC
- CCInfrastructure Business AnalystNSW
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire Developers - Brisbane basedVIC
- FTConsulting Solution/Integration ArchitectVIC
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC
- CCEnterprise Solution ArchitectNSW
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- TPInfrastructure ArchitectVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- TPSenior Network EngineerNSW
- CCData Migration Lead - SAPNSW
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW