Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock pumps out plenty of volume and lets you rotate your iPod when you want to watch videos
- Rotatable iPod dock, good treble audio, portable
- Can't handle deep bass, occasionally lacks mid-range frequency distinction, remote control doesn't have full menu control when iPod is rotated
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a useful iPod dock built with video playback and portability in mind. Although bass and mid-range aren't up to scratch, it pumps out plenty of sound for such a small portable speaker system.
Price$ 179.00 (AUD)
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a portable iPod dock that has a video out port and speakers. You can rotate a docked iPod or iPhone 90 degrees to get the most out of videos.
Rather than have a small fixed port as found in other iPod docks, the Logic3 i-Station Rotate's dock connector rotates anti-clockwise 90 degrees. A rubber stopper sits in the lower-left corner of the docking section, but thinner iPods like the Apple iPod Touch are able to move about too much. This could lead to the connector being damaged if the iPod is bumped too often.
Although movies are playable when an iPod is rotated, the iPod's menu isn't controllable from the remote in this mode. The remote has full control of compatible iPods when in a vertical position. A composite video port sits on the back of the Logic3 i-Station Rotate, so you can play the videos on your television or monitor. The lack of composite audio ports means that all sound will be played through the iPod dock's speakers.
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock's other main selling point is its portability. Four AA sized batteries can be plugged into the back, while Logic3 bundles a padded carry-case in the sales package. The two feet that hold the unit upright can be flipped into the main body.
The speakers deliver decent treble and mid-range, but the dock suffers from a lack of bass, as indicated by the frequency response of 200Hz-20KHz. Our attempts to play the track "Addicted to Bass" by Josh Abrahams resulted in weak lower-end notes and a lack of richness.
Treble is much better — as heard in our test track of Carmen's Habanera as sung by Opera Australia — thanks to the two 22mm tweeters. The high notes were clear and there was no distortion until the volume was set to its highest level. Even then, we were impressed by the Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock's relatively clear sound at full volume.
The mid-range performance is mixed, with the Logic3 i-Station Rotate iPod dock occasionally blending the lower and mid-range frequencies. This means that in some tracks, like "Ice Cream" by New Young Pony Club, the individual notes were less separated than they should've been.
The Logic3 i-Station Rotate is a portable iPod dock that is easily transportable, produces loud audio with little distortion and can dock iPods in the best position to play videos. Although we think the sound quality should be better at this price, if you're looking for a video-friendly iPod dock to use on the move, this is a worthwhile choice.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Network AdministratorNSW
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- CCTest ManagerWA
- TPAnalyst Programmer (Adabas)SA
- FTCitrix EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- CCIT Operations Centre EngineerQLD
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCPMO ManagerNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCIT Solutions ArchitectQLD
- TPInformation Security OfficerACT
- FTProject / Implementation Coordinator (Junior-Mid Level) Sunshine Coast LocationQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCFinancial Business AnalystACT