Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
This keyboard features back-lit keys and a well-crafted design.
- Ultra-thin design, excellent key layout, adjustable key backlighting, near-silent operation, comfortable
- Not wireless, a little expensive, lack of Fn key on the left side of the keyboard
If you can live with a wired keyboard, Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard is one of the best available. However, it’s a little overpriced.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard features backlit keys, an ultra-thin design and the PerfectStroke key system. Although it's not wireless, it is one of the better keyboards on the market.
The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard's matte black finish gives it an aura of sophistication and class, and the clear plastic bezel surrounding the keyboard is a nice design touch. At just 9.3mm thick, the Illuminated Keyboard is extremely slim and low, but it can be propped up by supports that reside on the bottom. These flip-out plastic legs are small but sturdy.
The keyboard is definitely comfortable to use. At the front there is a serviceable rubber-style wrist rest; it’s a shame it can't be removed as many users are cramped for space and would appreciate a smaller footprint. The wrist rest also tends to attract grubby fingermarks due to its finish.
The keys provide excellent tactility and are well spaced. Aside from the insert, print screen and pause/break buttons being shifted to the top row instead of sitting in their usual place, the layout of keys is excellent. The backlit keys are impressive and are a godsend at night or in dim lighting. Rather than leak through the spaces in between keys, the backlighting is restricted to the character on a key. The backlighting can be adjusted by a key in the top right corner of the keyboard; there are four brightness levels available and you can also completely turn it off if you wish.
Strangely, the top row of F-keys isn't backlit, though the orange symbols that appear above them are. One other minor complaint is the lack of a function key (Fn) on the left side of the keyboard; you need this key to access the one-touch controls that allow you to adjust volume and offer instant access to programs such as your media player, e-mail client and Web browser.
The Illuminated Keyboard also boasts what Logitech has dubbed PerfectStroke, which allows for longer key travel. The pressure required to type is greatly reduced, speeding up the typing process. After continual daily use over a period of three weeks, the Illuminated Keyboard made our typing more efficient. Additionally, typing is near-silent, making this keyboard an ideal choice if you don't want to disturb your colleagues.
The Illuminated Keyboard connects via a USB cable and is plug-and-play. However, if you want to use the shortcut keys you'll need to install the included SetPoint software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCICT Security Design & Implementation - NV1ACT
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- FTSAP FI/CO module- Tester/ Quality AnalystNSW
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCSenior Solution ArchitectACT
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- CCSenior Project Specialist - Network IPVIC
- FTApplications Support / Systems Administrator | DefenceACT
- CCDevOps Engineer - Php, LAMP, XML, scripting, JavaNSW
- CCCommunications OfficerACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC