Logitech Illuminated Keyboard
This keyboard features back-lit keys and a well-crafted design.
- Ultra-thin design, excellent key layout, adjustable key backlighting, near-silent operation, comfortable
- Not wireless, a little expensive, lack of Fn key on the left side of the keyboard
If you can live with a wired keyboard, Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard is one of the best available. However, it’s a little overpriced.
Price$ 179.95 (AUD)
Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard features backlit keys, an ultra-thin design and the PerfectStroke key system. Although it's not wireless, it is one of the better keyboards on the market.
The Logitech Illuminated Keyboard's matte black finish gives it an aura of sophistication and class, and the clear plastic bezel surrounding the keyboard is a nice design touch. At just 9.3mm thick, the Illuminated Keyboard is extremely slim and low, but it can be propped up by supports that reside on the bottom. These flip-out plastic legs are small but sturdy.
The keyboard is definitely comfortable to use. At the front there is a serviceable rubber-style wrist rest; it’s a shame it can't be removed as many users are cramped for space and would appreciate a smaller footprint. The wrist rest also tends to attract grubby fingermarks due to its finish.
The keys provide excellent tactility and are well spaced. Aside from the insert, print screen and pause/break buttons being shifted to the top row instead of sitting in their usual place, the layout of keys is excellent. The backlit keys are impressive and are a godsend at night or in dim lighting. Rather than leak through the spaces in between keys, the backlighting is restricted to the character on a key. The backlighting can be adjusted by a key in the top right corner of the keyboard; there are four brightness levels available and you can also completely turn it off if you wish.
Strangely, the top row of F-keys isn't backlit, though the orange symbols that appear above them are. One other minor complaint is the lack of a function key (Fn) on the left side of the keyboard; you need this key to access the one-touch controls that allow you to adjust volume and offer instant access to programs such as your media player, e-mail client and Web browser.
The Illuminated Keyboard also boasts what Logitech has dubbed PerfectStroke, which allows for longer key travel. The pressure required to type is greatly reduced, speeding up the typing process. After continual daily use over a period of three weeks, the Illuminated Keyboard made our typing more efficient. Additionally, typing is near-silent, making this keyboard an ideal choice if you don't want to disturb your colleagues.
The Illuminated Keyboard connects via a USB cable and is plug-and-play. However, if you want to use the shortcut keys you'll need to install the included SetPoint software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 2 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 3 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Asus and MSI accused of juicing GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card review samples
- Intel pits monster 72-core Xeon Phi chip against GPUs
- Dell claims its external graphics card tech beats Thunderbolt 3 options
- Radeon RX 470 and RX 460 graphics cards intensify AMD's affordable gaming push
- Gigabyte just showed an eGPU with Thunderbolt/USB-C for easier laptop external graphics
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior Systems AnalystACT
- FTService Delivery Coordinator - ApplicationsNSW
- CCMobility Developer (iOS or Android)NSW
- CCOffice 365 Project ManagerNSW
- CCBiztalk developerNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ServerSA
- CCSecurity Solution ArchitectQLD
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Performance & Automation EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Project Delivery ManagerACT
- CCETL Developer - Tableau FocusNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCRelease & Configuration Manager | Defence intelligence application | NV1 clearedACT
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectACT
- CCLead Solution Analyst - BMC Remedy softwareVIC
- CCProduct Solution DesignerVIC
- CCSecurity Engineer - SUMO focusNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsNSW
- CCBusiness Data AnalystNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/Technical Support) 160616/ITA/991Asia
- CCWindows 2003-2012 R2 Active Directory Consultant/ManagerNSW
- FT.Net Developer (WebAPI / Entity Framework / SQL Server)NSW
- CCProject ManagerNSW