- Great sound, loud enough for use in the home, charges and syncs your iPod to a PC, stylish
- Some distortion evident at high volume levels, quite large, lacks bass
For a competitive price, the mm50 provides quality sound and is loud enough for in-home use.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
Portable speaker systems built specifically for iPods are becoming something of a fad these days and there are a plethora of options available on the market. Logitech are a major player in this space and the Logitech mm50 iPod portable speakers we reviewed produced quality sound.
Measuring 325 x 102 x 38 mm, the mm50 is clearly on the larger side in terms of portability. However we liked the flip-out stand and the built in rechargeable battery, which also charges your iPod while it is connected to a power source.
The mm50 can be used with the Apple iPod, iPod mini and iPod nano. Depending on which model you have, Logitech has included two extra plastic snap-on holders - one for the original and photo iPods and the other for the mini. Unfortunately the mm50 was released before the iPod nano and therefore Logitech were unable to include an insert, but the nano is still compatible with this unit.
The included dock connector on the back of the mm50 allows direct connection between an iPod and a computer, allowing you to charge, sync and listen to music. Hooking this up is simply a matter of connecting one end of the iPod's USB cable to the back of the mm50, the other end to your PC and docking the iPod in the speaker system.
The sound quality of the mm50 was excellent and Logitech have included a 3D function which widens the sound levels. The volume levels of the unit were extremely loud and although it is a portable device, we would have no qualms recommending it as a replacement for a stereo in your room. At higher volume levels, we did notice a little distortion and if you are looking for heavy bass, the mm50 isn't for you. The mm50 also includes a line-in jack which means that non iPod players can be used, but a cable for this feature is not included in the package.
The Lithium ion battery lasted about nine hours during testing, slightly less than Logitech's claimed 10 hours, but still ample, considering the sound quality the unit is capable of delivering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- CCOpen_2pm_29/8_Teradata Database AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows7/8/10) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTData AnalystsWA
- CCSenior Solutions Architect - SIEMVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Data MigrationACT
- CCSharepoint ArchitectACT
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCChange Manager/ Advisor- operational environmentNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- FTClient Engagement ManagerVIC
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/XML) 160818/P/872Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (IT Application/Web) 160825/AP/183Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160826/AP/972Asia
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/SA/812Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC