- Great sound, loud enough for use in the home, charges and syncs your iPod to a PC, stylish
- Some distortion evident at high volume levels, quite large, lacks bass
For a competitive price, the mm50 provides quality sound and is loud enough for in-home use.
Price$ 229.95 (AUD)
Portable speaker systems built specifically for iPods are becoming something of a fad these days and there are a plethora of options available on the market. Logitech are a major player in this space and the Logitech mm50 iPod portable speakers we reviewed produced quality sound.
Measuring 325 x 102 x 38 mm, the mm50 is clearly on the larger side in terms of portability. However we liked the flip-out stand and the built in rechargeable battery, which also charges your iPod while it is connected to a power source.
The mm50 can be used with the Apple iPod, iPod mini and iPod nano. Depending on which model you have, Logitech has included two extra plastic snap-on holders - one for the original and photo iPods and the other for the mini. Unfortunately the mm50 was released before the iPod nano and therefore Logitech were unable to include an insert, but the nano is still compatible with this unit.
The included dock connector on the back of the mm50 allows direct connection between an iPod and a computer, allowing you to charge, sync and listen to music. Hooking this up is simply a matter of connecting one end of the iPod's USB cable to the back of the mm50, the other end to your PC and docking the iPod in the speaker system.
The sound quality of the mm50 was excellent and Logitech have included a 3D function which widens the sound levels. The volume levels of the unit were extremely loud and although it is a portable device, we would have no qualms recommending it as a replacement for a stereo in your room. At higher volume levels, we did notice a little distortion and if you are looking for heavy bass, the mm50 isn't for you. The mm50 also includes a line-in jack which means that non iPod players can be used, but a cable for this feature is not included in the package.
The Lithium ion battery lasted about nine hours during testing, slightly less than Logitech's claimed 10 hours, but still ample, considering the sound quality the unit is capable of delivering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- TPNode JS DeveloperNSW
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- FTJunior Applications SupportACT
- FTInfrastructure EngineerQLD
- CCTechnical Business Analyst (Security) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTLevel 2/3 Application Support SpecialistQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTField Services EngineerWA
- FTTelco Program ManagerVIC
- FTSystem Engineer - Level 2NSW
- FTWeb Support LeadQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial MarketsVIC
- FTAGILE Implementation Manager ContractNSW
- FTProgram Manager-SAP Transition, SAP FICO ImplementationNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- CCProject Manager - Security DomainVIC
- FTMS Dynamics DevelopersNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTTest ManagerWA
- TPSenior Communications Officer | SharePointQLD
- CCSenior Full Stack Web Developer - Port MacquarieQLD