Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
- Accurate colour representation, easy to use, fun and quirky avatars
- Not compatible with Macs
The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is a great webcam with some very amusing and entertaining features.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is a delightful, high quality and relatively inexpensive webcam for online chats and creating basic YouTube videos. It's about the size of an average mobile phone and connects to your PC using USB 2.0. However, it's not your average webcam; in fact, it's far from ordinary.
If you've ever wanted to be a cat or a velociraptor but have intelligently accepted the laws of nature and science then the next best thing is to impersonate one using the wonders of technology. What are we on about? Avatars of course! The QuickCam Pro 9000 comes with a selection of 30 motion-sensing avatars, face accessories, fun filters and video masks, as well as countless more downloadable for free from the Logitech website. This very intelligent little piece of bundled software induced many a genuine "LOL" on Windows Live Messenger when we tested it.
Installation was a breeze, but it did take a little while. It took us about 15min open the box, install the software and run through the step-by-step process customising the speaker and microphone settings. This was essential in order to get optimal performance for Internet calling applications and other programs. Unfortunately, the QuickCam Pro 9000 only runs on Windows, thus Mac users miss out on all the fun it has to offer.
Sporting a 2-megapixel sensor and a Carl Zeiss autofocus lens, this webcam has great image quality. Colours were displayed accurately and focusing on a moving subject, e.g. a person walking like an Egyptian, at 30 frames per second was no problem for the QuickCam Pro 9000.
At times there was the annoying jerkiness or lag you would expect from a webcam, but we put that behaviour down to running multiple programs while the video was streaming, as well as a congested Internet pipe. Of course, a modern computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU will have no problems running this webcam, and your online experience will be much smoother if you have a fast Internet connection.
Costing just $149.95, the QuickCam Pro 9000 proved to be a lot of fun and it's well recommended if you want to have some fun while chatting to your mates online.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- FTIT Infrastructure EngineerSA
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCSenior IT Project SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Test Analyst | End to End TestingNSW
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCPortfolio Delivery ManagerACT
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - TaxVIC
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCStrategic Planning OfficerACT
- CCIBM ODM Expert (Operation Decision Manager)ACT