Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
- Accurate colour representation, easy to use, fun and quirky avatars
- Not compatible with Macs
The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is a great webcam with some very amusing and entertaining features.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
The Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 is a delightful, high quality and relatively inexpensive webcam for online chats and creating basic YouTube videos. It's about the size of an average mobile phone and connects to your PC using USB 2.0. However, it's not your average webcam; in fact, it's far from ordinary.
If you've ever wanted to be a cat or a velociraptor but have intelligently accepted the laws of nature and science then the next best thing is to impersonate one using the wonders of technology. What are we on about? Avatars of course! The QuickCam Pro 9000 comes with a selection of 30 motion-sensing avatars, face accessories, fun filters and video masks, as well as countless more downloadable for free from the Logitech website. This very intelligent little piece of bundled software induced many a genuine "LOL" on Windows Live Messenger when we tested it.
Installation was a breeze, but it did take a little while. It took us about 15min open the box, install the software and run through the step-by-step process customising the speaker and microphone settings. This was essential in order to get optimal performance for Internet calling applications and other programs. Unfortunately, the QuickCam Pro 9000 only runs on Windows, thus Mac users miss out on all the fun it has to offer.
Sporting a 2-megapixel sensor and a Carl Zeiss autofocus lens, this webcam has great image quality. Colours were displayed accurately and focusing on a moving subject, e.g. a person walking like an Egyptian, at 30 frames per second was no problem for the QuickCam Pro 9000.
At times there was the annoying jerkiness or lag you would expect from a webcam, but we put that behaviour down to running multiple programs while the video was streaming, as well as a congested Internet pipe. Of course, a modern computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU will have no problems running this webcam, and your online experience will be much smoother if you have a fast Internet connection.
Costing just $149.95, the QuickCam Pro 9000 proved to be a lot of fun and it's well recommended if you want to have some fun while chatting to your mates online.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Jump the line for the newest Chromecast features with Google's new preview program
- Twitter's new Apple TV, Fire TV, and Xbox One apps are all about video, not tweets
- Sony's PlayStation 4 'Shingen' update adds HDR support to every PS4 console
- New TiVo Bolt+ is a DVR powerhouse rolling out September 15
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTSenior Project Manager | TelecommunicationVIC
- FTSenior PHP DeveloperNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCProgram Manager - Data InsightVIC
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCSoftware TesterACT
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC