Logitech S125i portable iPod speaker
This portable iPod speaker is good for picnics and trips to the beach
- Decent sound quality with reasonable bass, well built
- Distortion at higher volumes, bass enhancement feature affects clarity, only 10 hours of battery life using four AAs
The Logitech S125i is a portable iPod speaker that is good to throw in your bag when heading out for a picnic. It doesn’t have perfect sound quality and it’s a little more expensive than we think it should be, but it’s built well and makes for a fun addition to your picnic basket.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Logitech S125i is a well-built iPod speaker system that can use batteries or mains power to run. It’s a simple unit and provides reasonable audio quality at low to medium volumes, but distortion becomes evident when cranking the sound up. Despite its flaws, it could be a useful product if you're heading off on a holiday.
The Logitech S125i is not flimsily built and it doesn't rattle, which is unusual for a budget iPod accessory. With four AA batteries in the bottom-loading battery compartment it tips the scales at just under 400g, so you can easily throw it in a backpack and not notice the extra weight. Battery life is a disappointing 10 hours, however. The buttons are well constructed and offer good tactile feedback.
The Logitech S125i has a 3.5mm auxiliary input on its rear, so you can plug in almost any portable media player if you have the correct cable.
We found sound to be best at a medium volume level. There’s a bass enhancement button on the front but by and large we preferred it off. The speaker system's reasonable treble detail and slightly recessed mid-range made for good listening, especially with the ambient noise of an office in the background.
Maxing out the Logitech S125i’s speakers in a quiet park, we quickly noticed that the treble was not nearly as prominent as mid-range. Distortion was also obvious during complex musical passages. Switching on the bass enhancement did give a boost to lower frequencies, but also robbed treble of its clarity — this is a mode well suited to higher volume levels where treble is already over-shadowed.
Despite being slightly expensive for a humble portable iPod speaker, the Logitech S125i is a decent purchase. It has acceptable sound quality at most listening volumes and is built well; its flaws only become debilitating at maximum volume.
Follow GoodGearGuide on Twitter: @GoodGearGuide
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- CCServiceNow / SACM ConsultantNSW
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCAEM/CQ5 DeveloperNSW
- CCWeb AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Front End / UI Developer (React.js / LESS / SASS)NSW
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCNV1 | System admin with SQL server experience for Defence Application SupportACT
- CCL3 - Network Design and Support EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- CCSenior Implementation AnalystNSW
- CCChange Lead/Senior Change Analyst - Transformation projectNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCAEM DeveloperVIC
- CCSiebel AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.Net/Crystal Report) 160504/AP/vtdAsia
- CCSenior Enterprise Architect - eCommerceVIC
- FTJunior Inside Sales Rep | National systems integrator & MSP | $60-70K+NSW
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW