Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad
Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover is one of the best iPad accessories on the market
- Thin and lightweight design
- Excellent typing experience
- Great battery life
- No rear iPad protection
- Can be a little top heavy
- Small delete key
Unlike many other iPad keyboard cases, the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad, as its name suggests, is ultrathin. The thin and lightweight form factor, a design that matches the iPad's aesthetics and an excellent typing experience make this one of the best iPad accessories on the market, even if it isn't perfect.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Keyboard accessories for the iPad have traditionally added plenty of weight and bulk to Apple's tablet, but Logitech's Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad doesn't fall into that category. It effectively combines a smart cover and a physical keyboard while still managing to keep a slim and light profile.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad is part smart cover and part physical keyboard. It has a magnetic clip on the side that attaches onto the left of the iPad. This allows it to be folded closed when not in use, much the same way as a hardcover book. Like Apple's own smart cover, opening the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover when it's attached to the iPad automatically unlocks the iPad's screen and puts it to sleep when you close it. The device works with both the new iPad and the iPad 2.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover has an aluminium design that perfectly matches the iPad's silver back. When you want to use the keyboard you simply detach the magnet from the side of the iPad and place the iPad into a recessed slot above the keyboard. The recessed slot is magnetic so it securely holds the iPad in place when in landscape mode, unlike many other keyboard cases. You can position the iPad in portrait mode but the magnet will not work in this orientation. The angle of the iPad's screen isn't adjustable in either orientation.
There are a few nice touches that make using the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover a pleasant experience. The magnetic, recessed slot means typing on your lap, even if you're sitting on a slight angle, is comfortable and intuitive. However, the light weight of the case means using the device on your lap can make it a little top heavy and therefore susceptible to toppling over if you're not careful.
When folded closed, four small rubber tips in each corner of the cover prevent the keys from coming into contact with the iPad's screen. However, the Ultrathin Keyboard Case provides no protection for the rear of your iPad, which is arguably the most scratch-prone part of the device. Taking this into account, you'll still need a case or bag if you want to fully protect your iPad while commuting.
Connecting the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover to your iPad is a very simple process. Turn it on via the switch on the right side of the case where it will automatically enter pairing mode. Then go to the Bluetooth menu on your iPad to connect it. The iPad will prompt you to enter a four digit code using the keyboard to finalise the connection.
The Ultrathin Keyboard Cover is one of the best keyboards for the iPad that we've reviewed. It's comfortable, responsive and the layout isn't cramped or poorly spaced. We like the extra large space bar, though the delete key is a little small and was easily mishit during our testing. The glossy black plastic surrounding the keyboard is a fingerprint magnet, however, which can be an annoyance.
The keys themselves are spring loaded, offer great feedback and excellent tactility. We typed this entire review on the Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad and rarely mishit a key. Typing is also a quiet experience, with none of the annoying or overly loud clicking sounds we've seen from many rival keyboard accessories.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover has a number of iOS function keys, but these are shared with the standard number keys on the top row. When pressed with the fn key in the bottom left corner, the function keys can search through spotlight, select text, copy and paste, hide or show the on-screen keyboard, adjust the volume and pause or play any media content.
The Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad runs on a non-removable, rechargeable battery. Logitech says the battery will last six months on a single charge with two hours of typing per day. We used it for over a week and didn't need to charge the unit.
Logitech says you "can expect the battery charge to last for several months with average use" though recommends charging the cover at least once a month. A small LED above the delete key denotes when the unit is powered on and also glows while charging. Logitech includes a USB to micro-USB charging cable in the box.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Tablet shipments down, but detachables catch on
- 34 per cent of global online transactions made mobile: Adyen
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTApplication Packaging & Deployments Team LeaderNSW
- FTIT Cyber Security Requirements ConsultantACT
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Cloud / Telecommunications (Melb CBD)VIC
- FTJava Full Stack Developer - MelbourneVIC
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTIT Project ManagerSA
- FTProgram Test DirectorNSW
- CCBilling Assistant / AdministrationACT
- CCVMWare Horizon View 6.1 roll out & IT support | Short contract | Macquarie ParkNSW
- CCProject CoordinatorNSW
- FT.NET Tech LeadVIC
- CCProject Manager IT infrastructureACT
- FTNetwork Systems LeadVIC
- FTNetwork Engineer | Canberra | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projectsVIC
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTWintel EngineerACT
- CCHelpdesk SupportNSW
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCSecurity Consultant/Analyst (Data Loss Prevention)WA
- CCProgram Manager - Big Data - Telecommunications - UrgentNSW