Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
This case for the iPad Air has an attractive design and functional island keyboard.
- Good 'clicky' keys, despite minimal travel
- Offers fairly good protection as a case
- Odd keyboard layout
- Stand only allows for one angle
Overall a good keyboard case, but let down somewhat by an odd keyboard layout which steepens the learning curve.
Price$ 120.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
- Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air, Carbon B... 286.99
- Domeo - Ipad Grip Folio 30.82
- Domeo - Ipad Mini Recliner Folio 38.35
Although the Keyboard Folio's thin design means minimal key travel, the discrete keys provide a clear tactile 'click' on activation. That makes it easy to type rapidly, once you get your head around the keyboard layout.
Personally, I found the learning curve was steeper than usual for a keyboard. Perhaps to allow for wider alphabetic keys, the 'Tab' and 'Q' keys are merged, as are 'Caps Lock' and 'A'. This puts Q and A at the extreme left edge of the keyboard, where they would normally be one key in.
That was enough to throw me off, almost halving my typing speed until I'd been working on the Folio for a half-hour or so. Using a 'normal' laptop keyboard for a while and returning to the Folio left me almost back at square one.
I'm all for trying innovative new keyboard designs, but this seems an unnecessary modification. Many existing iPad keyboards have delivered wide enough keys without doing so, including Logitech's own Ultrathin Keyboard Cover.
All that said, I'm sure it's something anyone could get used to with sufficient practice. It'll always be a bit of a pain if you're frequently switching between the Folio keyboard and a laptop or desktop keyboard, but it's not an insurmountable issue.
I found the 'clicky' keys provided a slightly better typing experience than the Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio with the same key layout. However, the FabricSkin keyboard is easily cleanable, whereas the traditionally-designed keys of this cover are not so much.
The keyboard connects via Bluetooth, and is charged via a micro-USB port on the side. Next to that port is a small sliding on/off switch, and a Bluetooth 'connect' button for pairing.
The iPad Air is held in place by two plastic clips at the top, and there are gaps to allow access to the iPad's buttons and camera lens. It's held magnetically upright in typing position - it's a solid arrangement, but only allows for one angle.
The Keyboard Folio shares its cover and attachment design with the Logitech Folio, which is a good alternative if you'd like a hard cover and stand but aren't so fussed about the keyboard.
The folio isn’t too heavy at 425 grams – a little less than the Air’s own 469g, bringing the total weight forthe pair to a manageable 894g. It’s 20.2mm thick, though – almost three times the iPad Air’s 7.5mm, and a teency bit thicker than Logitech’s FabricSkin Keyboard Folio for the iPad Air, which is 18.5mm.
Overall it’s a functional and useful keyboard case, kept from greatness by its odd keyboard layout and limited slightly in appeal by its single-angle stand.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple might show off iPhone 5se and iPad Air 3 at March 15 event
- Tablet shipments down, but detachables catch on
- 34 per cent of global online transactions made mobile: Adyen
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCMultiple Senior Business Analyst opportunitiesSA
- FTTest Analyst, Finance Software SolutionsNSW
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- PTService Desk OperatorSA
- FTManual Software TesterNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Digital -PenrithNSW
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Linux Sys AdminNSW
- CCContract Software Engineer (Crystal Report/JAVA) 160129/SE/vccAsia
- CCProject SchedulerVIC
- CCImmediate iOS Developer Required - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCCisco Program Manager - Data Centre/Security ImplementationNSW
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTTeam Lead ITIL- Permanent OpportunityVIC
- CCJira Administrator - Western SydneyNSW
- CCLync/Skype EngineerNSW
- CCSAP DS and BI SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTApplications Architect/ Pre-sales (Microsoft Applications)WA
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW