The Secret of Monkey Island 2 SE
The 'special edition' of Monkey Island 2 is a great addition to the series
- Gorgeous artwork, witty dialogue, excellent voice acting, commentary is both genuinely interesting and downright hilarious.
- Hint system isn't specific enough in certain parts of the game, may frustrate players with no 'point-and-click' adventure experience
Can we all just take a moment to recognise LucasArts for the great things they've done recently with their classic franchises? Some companies are content with either letting their revered oldies gather dust while others will callously re-release them to trade on nostalgia, but LucasArts has done it the right way, showing the same level of dedication and care as their most ardent fans. So kudos to you, LucasArts: we sincerely hope other companies will take notice and follow your example, especially the people who hold the rights to the old Sierra On-Line adventures.
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition is a textbook example of how publishers can pull old titles from their catalogues and make them relevant again. LucasArts has been doing this for a while now, giving Tell Tale Games the creative license to take franchises like Sam & Max to new places and, as is the case here with the Special Edition of Monkey Island 2, giving new life to classics by updating the graphics and features. But the true secret to their revitalisation efforts is that they manage to maintain the same charm and humour that made these titles so successful in the first place.
Even after all this time, Monkey Island 2’s tale of hapless wannabe pirate Guybrush Treepwood and his battle to outwit and defeat the demon ghost pirate LeChuck is still pretty damn funny, and it’s made even more so by new voice acting and a reworked script. Thankfully, much of the original cast also returns to flesh out the experience, which is a big plus for nostalgic fans who were on board with the series back in the 90s. Put together, all this makes the story come together incredibly well, and even new players will get a chuckle from things like numerous Star Wars references and various pop culture in-jokes.
If anything, the game is almost worth it for the extra features alone. Optional commentary by the original team (Schafer, Gilbert, and Grossman) is a real treat to listen to, especially with memorable quips like “God, we used to program!” and humorous anecdotes about minor details in the game, like the name of the dog at the Phatt Island Jail. Monkey Island 2 SE also comes with the original version of the game, which carries the original graphics and music, although the in-game voice-overs can be layered over the old interface.
Monkey Island 2 SE is a great remake of a great game, and I’d be happy to recommend it to anyone. However, I’m not sure that new players will take to point-and-click adventuring so well, especially since some puzzles are incredibly hard to solve, even with the in-game hint system. Luckily, we have the aid of online guides in 2010, but even that may not curb some early frustration. Regardless, Monkey Island 2 has aged gracefully, and the graphical facelift and extra goodies help sweeten the deal for diehard fans and newbies alike.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Divinity: Original Sin II preview: Choose your own reactive, gloriously chaotic adventure
- South Park: The Fractured But Whole preview: With great farts come great responsibility
- Konami's Metal Gear Survive is a co-op zombie survival game
- Microsoft wants all your devices to run on Xbox One’s proprietary wireless signal
- Warning: No Man’s Sky's PC port is broken and buggy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- FTTechnical Lead | Senior Java Developer | EcommerceNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- FTStorage EngineerSA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project Manager (12-month renewable contract)Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Technology Specialist - Back-end Java/JEENSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160902/AP/625Asia
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- CCService Desk Consultant_Level 1ACT
- CCChange AnalystVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC