Marantz SA11-S1 CD/SACD Player
- High performance, superior sound reproduction, suitable for all kinds of music
- No multi-channel support
The Marantz SA11-S1 really is the complete package: stunning sound quality, gorgeous looks and dreadnought build quality
Price$ 4,290.00 (AUD)
Forget all the review speak, subjective ratings and technical mumbo-jumbo. The simple fact is that all the hi-fi components I've ever reviewed fall into three broad categories.
There are those that perform so poorly I can't wait to send them back to the manufacturer/distributor. Nowadays products in this category are very much in the minority.
Then there's the middle ground of solidly performing, well-engineered products that would not leave me feeling short-changed if I had to live with them permanently.
Finally, there are the select few components that I've fallen head-over-heels in lust with, that have shocked me with their powers of musical communication and insight. This is the equipment that still draws a wistful sigh when I close my eyes and recall the way it brought music to life in my living room. Only a handful of components have reached that exalted state. The Marantz SA11-S1 is one of them.
To my eyes, it is the best-looking player Marantz has ever produced. With its solid metal fascia, copper-plated chassis and heavy-duty super ring transformer, the 14kg SA11-S1 is built less like a brick outhouse than the finest bathroom in a Sultan's palace. Sitting three-a-side, the six basic playback controls flank a slightly raised central panel that houses the disk drawer, a large LCD and a power on/off button. On power up, the playback controls are bathed in a soft blue ambient light, which you can dim via the handsome RC-11SAS1 remote control.
Like its earlier stablemate, the SA-14 ver.2, the SA11-S1 offers only stereo and not multi-channel SACD playback. This is a player aimed squarely at hi-fi traditionalists who couldn't give a tinker's about hearing their music in surround-sound but who want the best possible stereo replay.
The SA11-S1 offers a choice of three user-selectable filters, while a noise shaper function improves linearity at low playback levels. I experimented with all three filters, and ended up settling on filter one. But really, with the SA11 in your system, all you'll want to do is spend your time listening to music, not fussing over filter settings.
So how does the SA11-S1 sound? In a word, captivating. Actually, let's try a few other words as well: musical, accurate, focused, dynamic, natural. Able to deliver subtlety and refinement when required, yet equally at home with pounding rock and thundering orchestral crescendos, the SA11-S1 is hard to fault, so convincingly does it serve the music.
A brilliant CD player then, yet scarily, the SA11-S1 manages to raise the bar even higher on SACD playback. The delicacy and drama of Ravel was highlighted as never before, while on Raise Your Spirit Higher, the massed vocals of Ladysmith Black Mambazo enjoyed new levels of realism and harmonic complexity. And 'Let's Get It On', Marvin Gaye's ode to carnal pleasure, had the hormones fair dripping off the Marantz's gleaming silver fascia.
The Marantz SA11-S1 really is the complete package: stunning sound quality, gorgeous looks and dreadnought build quality. It surely sets new standards for all-round excellence in the sub-$10K CD player market.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
PCW Evaluation Team
- Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPMicrosoft Dynamics DeveloperNSW
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- TPMid-Level Java DeveloperNSW
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FT.net Developer (Front and Back end)QLD
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- TPICT Project CoordinatorQLD
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW
- TPSystem AdministratorVIC
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystVIC
- TPDigital Strategist - Newcastle BasedNSW
- CCSenior Technical Consultant - MicrosoftACT
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPTechnical ArchitectVIC
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)Other