- Good integration with Outlook and Office, well-designed product.
- Fiddly installation routine; may be overkill for smaller businesses.
Effective contact and sales management for SMBs.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Customer relationship management (CRM) is a mildly confusing concept for a simple task that many businesses need to perform: keeping track of new and potential customers in order to ensure maximum sales and profitability.
Like many packages that now get lumped into the CRM space, Maximizer has been performing tasks since before the phrase was invented. First released in 1987, Maximizer 8 is now a demonstrably mature product that's well suited to meeting the contact management needs of single-person and small networked businesses. (For larger businesses, a server-based Enterprise edition is available and recently made the jump to version 9.)
The installation routine for Maximizer is slow and a tad fiddly, but things improve considerably once the product is in place. The product works through a series of key windows - Address Book, Opportunities, Hotlist, Calendar, Email, Company Library, Personal, Order Desk - which allow you track and manage customer opportunities throughout the sales cycle.
The majority of these are self-evident and found in rival packages as well, though the Company Library - a document repository - is somewhat novel. The central My Work Day screen summarises imminent tasks and gives you an overall view of business performance, while MaxAlarm provides automatic reminders of deadlined tasks even when Maximizer itself is shut down. Contact data can be imported from Outlook, as well as Maximizer's main rivals, ACT! and Goldmine.
As well as providing its own word processor (useful primarily for the many templates for standard letters you may need to send to customers or suppliers), Maximizer can also install a series of macros that integrate with Microsoft Word. These are handy, but are likely to cause a series of security alerts in Office's current locked-down default configuration. Outlook is also fully integrated into the product - you can access and reply to emails without needing to switch into Microsoft's client. Reporting is particularly well-handled via the integrated Crystal Reports package, with the defaults supplied more than ample for most small business needs.
No matter how many nagging reminders they produce, at the end of the day CRM packages tend to be inefficient if you don't have the discipline to use them regularly and keep their data up-to-date. If you can make that commitment, Maximizer is certainly an able partner.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
- Microsoft's Office 2016 intro guides are here, a week late and short on useful details
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC