Merjin HijackThis V1.99
- Can remove anything, Free
- Complicated, Poor aesthetics
As the most powerful anti-spyware program available online HijackThis is also the most complicated. It is extremely useful for removing problems other programs just can’t crack.
Whilst you may have used Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Personal Edition or Safer Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy to cleanse your system of online nasties, one program you have probably not heard of is HijackThis; and we assure you have been missing out. A tiny, fairly basic piece of software, HijackThis was created by a Norwegian College student in his spare time, and has since gone on to become one of the most powerful anti-spyware tools available.
The downside is that HijackThis is unsuitable for the novice user. The power of this program lies in its ability to reveal everything on your system. Rather than running a pretty interface with a list of definitions it checks against, HijackThis simply scans your system and gives you a readout of everything that is, has been or will be running on your system during that session. This includes things like extra buttons that have been added to your browser windows, files that execute on startup, outgoing connections (things like automatic updaters), changes that have been made to your Internet settings (startup page etc) and processes that are currently running. It is an exhaustive list.
HijackThis then gives you the option to remove any of these processes, but as every system is different, it gives you no advice as to what should go. This is where beginners can get in to trouble. Removing registry entries and files that merely look suspect is a sure fire way to wind up reaching for your Windows XP CD; believe us, we've tried. Unless you are an experienced user, your best bet is to ask for help on one of the many online forums dedicated to the program. It generates a log file from your scan, which can easily be posted and read by people who understand the results. Whilst we cannot guarantee the quality of their information our experience has been that they respond quickly and professionally and we have never heard of a case of erroneous advice causing problems. Choose your site carefully and you will be spyware free in no time.
Aesthetically the software is nothing special. A basic grey and white design, it is made to function rather than to look pretty. However everything is simple and intuitive, so whilst new users may struggle with the program's output, they will have no trouble at all getting to that stage.
HijackThis also has a few other functions besides simply scanning. It can backup files that you remove, which helps somewhat when you delete something critical, but restoring a file after deletion won't always fix your problem, so use this feature with care. It also offers several Windows functions, such as 'uninstall manager' and 'process manager', which perform very similarly to their Microsoft counterparts, but in a more streamlined manner. Rounding out the package is a very nifty 'delete files on reboot' function, which helps cleanse those spyware files already running during that session.
Overall HijackThis is great if you've got a few problems you just cannot get rid of. For the average user Ad-Aware Personal Edition will be more than enough but we've encountered more than one scenario in our time online that has required something heftier and if you can get around the inaccessibility, HijackThis is the solution.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- TPBI AnalystQLD
- CCSCCM ConsultantACT
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPSOE EngineerACT
- CCJava DeveloperACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTBusiness Process AnalystWA
- CCOracle DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness Analysis | Business Case | ProcurementVIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- FTDeveloper / Junior Solution DesignerQLD
- CCProject Manager - Security - TelcoVIC
- FTSenior Test Analyst - Gov & Remedy/Service Now backgroundNSW
- FTSystem Analyst - IntegrationQLD
- FTProduct Manager - Machine To MachineVIC
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- FTProject Engineer - Newcastle BasedNSW
- FTFront-end Developer (UX/UI)NSW
- TPSoftware Licensing SpecialistNSW
- CCVisual DesignerACT
- FTICT Contract AnalystWA