Merjin HijackThis V1.99
- Can remove anything, Free
- Complicated, Poor aesthetics
As the most powerful anti-spyware program available online HijackThis is also the most complicated. It is extremely useful for removing problems other programs just can’t crack.
Whilst you may have used Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Personal Edition or Safer Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy to cleanse your system of online nasties, one program you have probably not heard of is HijackThis; and we assure you have been missing out. A tiny, fairly basic piece of software, HijackThis was created by a Norwegian College student in his spare time, and has since gone on to become one of the most powerful anti-spyware tools available.
The downside is that HijackThis is unsuitable for the novice user. The power of this program lies in its ability to reveal everything on your system. Rather than running a pretty interface with a list of definitions it checks against, HijackThis simply scans your system and gives you a readout of everything that is, has been or will be running on your system during that session. This includes things like extra buttons that have been added to your browser windows, files that execute on startup, outgoing connections (things like automatic updaters), changes that have been made to your Internet settings (startup page etc) and processes that are currently running. It is an exhaustive list.
HijackThis then gives you the option to remove any of these processes, but as every system is different, it gives you no advice as to what should go. This is where beginners can get in to trouble. Removing registry entries and files that merely look suspect is a sure fire way to wind up reaching for your Windows XP CD; believe us, we've tried. Unless you are an experienced user, your best bet is to ask for help on one of the many online forums dedicated to the program. It generates a log file from your scan, which can easily be posted and read by people who understand the results. Whilst we cannot guarantee the quality of their information our experience has been that they respond quickly and professionally and we have never heard of a case of erroneous advice causing problems. Choose your site carefully and you will be spyware free in no time.
Aesthetically the software is nothing special. A basic grey and white design, it is made to function rather than to look pretty. However everything is simple and intuitive, so whilst new users may struggle with the program's output, they will have no trouble at all getting to that stage.
HijackThis also has a few other functions besides simply scanning. It can backup files that you remove, which helps somewhat when you delete something critical, but restoring a file after deletion won't always fix your problem, so use this feature with care. It also offers several Windows functions, such as 'uninstall manager' and 'process manager', which perform very similarly to their Microsoft counterparts, but in a more streamlined manner. Rounding out the package is a very nifty 'delete files on reboot' function, which helps cleanse those spyware files already running during that session.
Overall HijackThis is great if you've got a few problems you just cannot get rid of. For the average user Ad-Aware Personal Edition will be more than enough but we've encountered more than one scenario in our time online that has required something heftier and if you can get around the inaccessibility, HijackThis is the solution.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTIntegration Solutions ArchitectNSW
- CCIT Manager - ANZNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (SQL/Web) 161027/SA/842Asia
- CCChange Manager - Telco projectsNSW
- FTWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (UNIX/Windows) 161028/ITA/003Asia
- CCICT Business AnalystACT
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Analyst ProgrammerNSW
- FTSOE ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Margin ProjectsNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- CCImplementation ManagerVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 161013/JP/602Asia
- FTDevOps EngineerVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation) 161031/ITA/541Asia
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- CCSystem & Network EngineerVIC
- FTFront End DeveloperSA
- CCSenior Procurement SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTSalesforce Subject Matter ExpertNSW