Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1
A welcome addition, but don't trash your existing tools yet.
In addition to spyware and adware detection and removal, Microsoft AntiSpyware includes a variety of security and privacy tools, such as one that alerts you if someone tries to piggyback bandwidth off your wireless network.
The free 6.4MB beta works with Windows XP, 2000 and Server 2003. It has an intuitive interface broken down into three main tabs: Scanning, Real-Time Protection, and Advanced Tools, with privacy and security features.
We were able to identify the same three spyware threats that veteran spyware detectors Spybot Search and Destroy and Ad-Aware found (although the latter scanned the fastest). Once threats are identified, you receive detailed information including threat location, risk rating and recommended course of action. You can also schedule regular scans complete with automatic deletion or quarantining.
Microsoft relies on the SpyNet community network (a user network sharing related and up-to-date threat details) for spyware and adware signature updates.
A host of Real-Time Protection tab tools help you defend often targeted key system processes, applications, and Internet features. Spam Zombie Prevention makes sure your PC isn't turned into a spam-spewing machine and Winsock Layer Service Provider assures you that spyware isn't monitoring/recording network traffic. You can also watch over programs set to start automatically when Windows loads, and stop your Explorer browser toolbar, bookmarks or Start page being changed.
The Advanced Features tab offers three Microsoft-centric tools: Browser Hijack Restore (only supporting Internet Explorer), System Explorer, and Tracks Erase. Sceptics will find plenty to criticise, but Microsoft is headed in the right direction. We just hope it remains free.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How Microsoft is building on Windows 10, and why developers care
- Google Chrome dethrones Internet Explorer to become undisputed browser champion
- Microsoft declares Cortana search box as Bing- and Edge-only turf
- YouTube's Content ID program finally provides for ad revenue during disputes
- Facebook gives Windows 10 a hug with new Facebook, Messenger, and Instagram apps
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160505/AP/951Asia
- FTTechnical Business Analyst - BINSW
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCHealthcare Test SpecialistSA
- CCBusiness Analyst - ICT SecurityNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCFront End Developer x 2QLD
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCSql Server Database Administrator (SAP)QLD
- FTTechnology Risk ManagerNSW
- CCSAP BW developerVIC
- FTPMO AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCInfrastructure Solution Designer - Oracle Exadata/ExalogicVIC
- CCSenior UX/UI DesignerNSW
- CCProject ManagerQLD
- CCMS Biz Talk ConsultantNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW