Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10
Price$ 189.95 (AUD)
Another contender in photo editing software more involved than basic tools bundled with a camera is Microsoft's Digital Image Suite.
The core of this year's upgrade is Digital Image Library 10, a photo organiser that looks a lot like Windows XP's Explorer. It lets you easily upload your shots, rate them with up to five stars, flag them for future attention, label them with captions, and assign key words for easy categorisation.
When you're ready to begin editing your photos, you launch Digital Image Pro 10. Microsoft arranges the tools logically and a set of Auto Fix commands makes completing basic changes easy. Tasks such as red-eye removal and panoramic stitching require little user intervention. Digital Image Pro provides fewer options and complex commands than competitors such as Adobe's Photoshop Elements and Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, but what you do get generally works very well.
The app's simplicity can be a bit limiting, however. For example, unlike most editors Digital Image Pro 10 will let you work on only one image at a time, so you can't try out different edits on side-by-side copies of the same. This is a solid package, particularly for photographers ready to step up from basic image editing software. Advanced users however, may not appreciate the way the suite's ease of use masks some control limitations.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Drupal fixes critical access bypass vulnerability
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- Microsoft will cut services to standalone Office users so they’ll subscribe to Office 365
- Microsoft commits to a permament schedule for new Windows 10, Office updates
- OK Google, let's get personal
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPSoftware Asset ManagementNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analysts - Benefits RealisationACT
- CCPersonal AssistantNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - PegaNSW
- FTOracle E-Business Technical ConsultantVIC
- TPSAP Supply Lead - MM/LogisticsQLD
- FTICT Sales Account ManagerQLD
- CCData Warehouse SpecialistQLD
- CCIntegration ArchitectACT
- FTSenior Solutions Architect - Network & Unified ComunicationsACT
- CCBusiness Analyst (Mid-level)VIC
- FTDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTAgile Scrum Master/TrainerNSW
- CCOIM-IAM Environment ManagerVIC
- TPFront-End DeveloperNSW
- PTProject ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Agile and Business ProcessNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity Support Manager - Perth BasedNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorQLD
- FTMobile Studio Manager/ Mobile UX Manager - GAME CHANGER!NSW