Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10
Price$ 189.95 (AUD)
Another contender in photo editing software more involved than basic tools bundled with a camera is Microsoft's Digital Image Suite.
The core of this year's upgrade is Digital Image Library 10, a photo organiser that looks a lot like Windows XP's Explorer. It lets you easily upload your shots, rate them with up to five stars, flag them for future attention, label them with captions, and assign key words for easy categorisation.
When you're ready to begin editing your photos, you launch Digital Image Pro 10. Microsoft arranges the tools logically and a set of Auto Fix commands makes completing basic changes easy. Tasks such as red-eye removal and panoramic stitching require little user intervention. Digital Image Pro provides fewer options and complex commands than competitors such as Adobe's Photoshop Elements and Jasc's Paint Shop Pro, but what you do get generally works very well.
The app's simplicity can be a bit limiting, however. For example, unlike most editors Digital Image Pro 10 will let you work on only one image at a time, so you can't try out different edits on side-by-side copies of the same. This is a solid package, particularly for photographers ready to step up from basic image editing software. Advanced users however, may not appreciate the way the suite's ease of use masks some control limitations.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCSAP ERP ArchitectNSW
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT roleNSW
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior C# .Net EngineerNSW
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- TPSalesforce DeveloperQLD
- CCCX Performance & Insights AnalystNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 161101/AP/162Asia
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Intelligence - DeveloperACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - experience in IDAM a MUSTNSW
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - BankingNSW
- FTSoftware Developers - .Net 4.6NSW
- FTNetwork EngineerACT
- FTNetwork Specialist - Palo Alto FirewallsVIC
- FTCommercial Contracts Manager - DefenceSA
- FTSenior Architect, Markets and ProductsNSW
- CCProject SchedulerSA
- CCNetwork Capacity PlannerVIC
- CCTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AX - Brisbane BasedQLD
- TPTest AnalystQLD
- CCSAP HANNA ArchitectNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics AX Solution Architect (Permanent and/or Contract Option)VIC