Microsoft Expression Encoder 2
Making it easier to produce video for the Web
- Silverlight templates, attractive price point, live streaming, VC-1 video support, watermarks and metadata support, pre-roll leaders and trailers
- Windows only, fairly high system requirements
As a standalone product, Encoder has quite an attractive price point and will suit designers who need to produce Web video, as well as those involved in broadcasting.
Price$ 199.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Expression Encoder is a new addition to the Expression suite, a scalable encoding solution for producing and distributing VC-1 encoded video wrapped in a Silverlight container.
Import options are, obviously, key. You can bring in a range of video content, including QuickTime, AVI, DV, WMV, video files from DVDs and anything supported by DirectShow.
There's a range of destination codecs, for both audio and video — so you can design for anything from a motion thumbnail to 720p HD. An A/B compare mode uses a split-screen viewer to preview how the encoded output will look against the original. Uniquely, Encoder also has a live streaming option, which is well served by various encoding options.
It's simple to add video leaders and trailers to media clips, or introduce custom media content such as station identification, ads and credits to the beginning or end of your file. You can also overlay custom watermarks, using standard image formats such as JPEG and PNG, video files such as AVI and WMV or a XAML animation; this gives you control over almost all aspects of the watermark.
You can use movie files that include alpha channels, and it also supports standard and custom metadata, including ISAN for asset tracking, search, and management, and SAMI or Timed Text (DFXP) for synchronising text with subtitles or captions.
When it comes to export, Encoder provides a range of Silverlight templates with which to package your content. The templates can also be edited in Expression Blend, and there's an integrated option for this on the output panel. Encoder is an intelligent solution: in the case of edits made to WMV content and Silverlight templates, it will only re-encode the sections that have been modified, so saving time and streamlining experimentation.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCProject Manager, Infrastructure Migration, AWS CloudNSW
- CCPersonal AssistantVIC
- FTJr .Net DeveloperVIC
- CCContract Senior Web Developer (PHP/Drupal/JAVA) 160808/SWD/vtdAsia
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCAutomation ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Support Level 1 /2VIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer (UX/UI)SA
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- FTAutomation Tester- C#, Selenium | Cloud Based Finance SolutionsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- CCFinance Analyst (Junior)VIC
- CCSAP ArchitectSA
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160902/JP/709Asia
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia