Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
- Accurate and comfortable
- No third shortcut key
While hardcore gamers will want the increased accuracy of the Logitech G5 or Razer Copperhead, the Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 is a cheaper alternative for those who still want an extremely accurate mouse on a budget.
Price$ 59.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- LifeChat LX-2000 Headset (2AA-00011) 29.00
Microsoft's IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 is the latest iteration of their Explorer series of mice. Known for their combination of comfort and accuracy, they are very popular amongst gamers and heavy computer users in general. The Explorer 3.0 follows this trend, offering a comfortable device that is more than precise enough for all computing needs.
The most important element of a high end mouse is its accuracy, and the Explorer 3.0 performed excellently in this regard. Its optical sensor refreshes at 9000 times a second, giving great, pinpoint precision. We tested it playing a first person shooter, and found it to be extremely accurate, almost comparable to Logitech's G5 and G7 gaming mice. While the top end gaming mice from Logitech and Razer may be better choices for the true hardcore gamer, the Explorer 3.0 will more than satisfy most people and the price difference is quite large, making this a better choice for those on a budget.
Our testing was performed on a variety of surfaces, including a traditional mouse pad, paper and our plain, white, glossy desktop. It was responsive on all surfaces, which was impressive considering most optical mice struggle on reflective, glossy surfaces.
It follows a fairly standard design, with a scroll wheel between the two main buttons and two shortcut keys on the left. We'd have liked to see another one on the right, next to where the little finger falls, but some prefer a mouse without the clutter. All the controls were within easy reach, and reacted responsively.
We liked the design of the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0, with a gunmetal grey and black colour scheme, and silver highlights on the shortcut keys. It also has a glowing red tip towards the back, illuminated by the optical sensor, which adds a futuristic feel to the unit.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCLead Solutions ArchitectQLD
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCAssociate Engineer (Communications Engineering)Asia
- FTSAP Basis ConsultantVIC
- CCTest Manager - Baseline SecurityVIC
- FTSenior .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCChange Analysts - multiple rolesNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- CCeLearning Developer / Learning Management System AdministratorACT
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTDesktop EngineerNSW
- CCOracle Identity and Access Management Specialist-11Gr2 productsNSW
- CCAccounts Reconciliation Officer/ AdministratorNSW
- CCAgile Performance Tester- Bamboo, Jenkins, Confluence, JiraNSW
- FTPortal DeveloperNSW
- CCFull Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCEnvironment ManagerVIC