Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000
Measuring just 41x109x50mm, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is one of the smallest webcams we've reviewed.
- Captures video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp
- Bright lighting will result in 'light-flare'
Ideal for families, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 ensures PC users can capture good quality HD video, while also having some fun with the images and video they shoot.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is sleek black with a chrome accent and an unusual rubber clip. This could be moulded to fit the back of a laptop screen or monitor and also allowed the lens to be tilted up or down.
Setup was a breeze. Install the software bundled with the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 on to your PC and then connect the webcam to your machine via USB and you’re ready to use the device.
It’s capable of capturing video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp. We found that while the video was smooth and clear with no pixellation, our biggest gripe was the flare of our harsh office strip lighting. And while TrueColour technology darkened the image, ensuring skin tones were more realistic, it didn’t dim the flare on the lights. The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000's noise-cancelling microphone meant we could hear sound of the video very clearly. Hardly any background noise was picked up.
We also loved the animations that we could lay on top of the video or images. From giving ourselves wigs, hats and glasses to blurring the background of the video, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 certainly allowed us to have some fun while using a webcam.
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 can be used with Microsoft’s own software, but it is also compatible with instant-messaging programs including Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, as well as VoIP services.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- CCTechnical Architect - CloudNSW
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160801/AP/258Asia
- FTMidrange Server Provision SMENSW
- FTPHP Developer (full stack)WA
- CCSenior Business Analyst with Product Management experienceVIC
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - CloudVIC
- CCLead DevOps ConsultantVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160802/ITA/991Asia
- CCSAP Payroll Implement/Migration Project Manager/ SpecialistNSW
- FTOPEN_ASAP_Configuration ManagerACT
- FTSystems Administrator | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearedACT
- CCApplication Tester - Windows 10 ProjectWA
- FTSenior Natural/ADABAS ProgrammerSA
- FTContinuous delivery application deployment automation specialist (DevOps)NSW
- CCExcel Modelling specialist/consultant.VIC
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- CCTechnical BI Business Analyst- Informatica, Oracle OBIEENSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - Temporary Fixed TermQLD
- CCContract IT Assistant (SQL/Windows) 160804/ITA/151Asia