First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000
Measuring just 41x109x50mm, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is one of the smallest webcams we've reviewed.
- Captures video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp
- Bright lighting will result in 'light-flare'
Ideal for families, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 ensures PC users can capture good quality HD video, while also having some fun with the images and video they shoot.
Price$ 99.95 (AUD)
The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 is sleek black with a chrome accent and an unusual rubber clip. This could be moulded to fit the back of a laptop screen or monitor and also allowed the lens to be tilted up or down.
Setup was a breeze. Install the software bundled with the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 on to your PC and then connect the webcam to your machine via USB and you’re ready to use the device.
It’s capable of capturing video up to 1280x720 pixels and 30 frames per second (fps) or still images at a resolution of 4Mp. We found that while the video was smooth and clear with no pixellation, our biggest gripe was the flare of our harsh office strip lighting. And while TrueColour technology darkened the image, ensuring skin tones were more realistic, it didn’t dim the flare on the lights. The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000's noise-cancelling microphone meant we could hear sound of the video very clearly. Hardly any background noise was picked up.
We also loved the animations that we could lay on top of the video or images. From giving ourselves wigs, hats and glasses to blurring the background of the video, the Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 certainly allowed us to have some fun while using a webcam. The Microsoft LifeCam HD-5000 can be used with Microsoft’s own software, but it is also compatible with instant-messaging programs including Windows Live Messenger and Yahoo Messenger, as well as VoIP services.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 LG G3 review
- 2 MiPad: Xiaomi's first tablet reviewed
- 3 Asus G550JK gaming notebook
- 4 TP-Link Archer D7 AC1750 Wireless Modem Router
- 5 Nokia Lumia 635 review
GGG Evaluation Team
Latest News Articles
- Obama signs cellphone unlocking bill
- Microsoft sues Samsung, says it stopped paying for patents
- Judge approves Apple e-books price-fixing settlement
- HP's SlateBook 14 Android laptop ships, but with a higher price than expected
- Train robots hands-on to dump trash with this new OS
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Digital Video View all »
- $58 free shipping
- $59.98 free shipping
- Digital Cameras View all »
- Notebooks View all »
- Desktop PCs View all »
- Tablets View all »