Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000
- Excellent image quality in outdoor environments, impressive integrated microphone, easy to set-up and use
- Average image quality in office environment, below average in dim lighting, little expensive
The Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000 is a mid-range webcam that suffers from the same pitfalls as most mid-range cameras on the market. When the lighting is anything but optimal, the image quality suffers greatly.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
The Microsoft LifeCam LX-6000 is a mid-range webcam with a 1.3Mp sensor and an integrated microphone. It has image quality issues in some lighting environments resulting in poor colour reproduction, pixelation and image noise.
We tested the LifeCam in three lighting environments to gain an overall impression of its versatility. The first was a well lit office under Fluorescent lights. The camera had problems under these lighting conditions. While the image was usable, it was rife with discolouration, noise and jagged contrast stepping. The discolouration was green, undoubtedly from the fluorescent lights, and detail like hair was lost in a sea of black. Compared to other 1.3Mp webcams we have tested, the LX-6000 was slightly below-par when used in an office environment.
As you can imagine, when used in a dimly lit bedroom under incandescent lights, the results were a little worse. The green discolouration was gone but replaced with an orange hue while the stepping and image noise remained.
The best image quality we received from the camera was in an outdoor environment. Under sunlight, the image quality was excellent. There was no discolouration or image noise and the contrast issues were gone. While most people probably won't use a webcam like this outdoors, this test is still valid as it suggests a way to improve the image in the office and home environments. We would recommend you use a desk lamp with a 40-60W daylight balanced bulb to add illumination to the subject being captured. In addition to giving the camera extra light to work with, the daylight bulb should theoretically remove any discolouration too.
The integrated microphone was able to pick out voice over environmental noise quite easily. The audio quality was excellent and clear without becoming muffled or lost in the background.
Setting up the camera is very simple. It comes with an installation CD which needs to be installed before the camera is plugged in. After a short installation process, the camera need only be plugged in and you're away.
Since this is a Microsoft product, it is designed to be used with Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Spaces for online blogging. There is a dedicated button for these features on the top of the device, but all it does is open a fairly superfluous software package that does what can easily be done within Messenger at the click of a button.
The included webcam software also allows for face tracking which attempts to keep your face in the centre of the frame at all times. While it worked reasonably well, it was not perfect and even when working well, we found it to be distracting.
The Microsoft LifeCam VX-6000 is a mid-range webcam and shares the same problems as most mid-range webcams we have reviewed. However, its price is a little excessive when you consider the superior 2Mp Logitech QuickCam Pro for Notebooks is the same price.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD
- CCData Migration Consultant - LeadNSW
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCMarketing SpecialistNSW
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- TPAgile Business AnalystQLD
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistNSW
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- FTSenior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- CCApplication Services Administrator (Linux)NSW
- FTService Desk Analyst / Security EngineerQLD
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- FTSales Account Manager | Cloud Solutions | Global Tech GiantNSW