Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
- Good design, padded palm rest, comfortable,
- Little too expensive
If comfort is important to you as a typist, then this is the keyboard for you.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Poor typing posture can wreak havoc on your wrists, but few people take the time to correct such hazardous habits. Enter Microsoft's Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Although it took us a while to get used to the keyboard's unconventional design, the results were worth the effort.
The Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 attempts to correct your hand positioning in several ways. First, its keys are laid out in a curve similar to the shape of a seagull's wings, with center keys that are proportionately oversize to compensate for how often you use them. Its gable design lets you position your forefingers higher than your little fingers, so your wrists adopt a more natural position. The keys on each side sit in a concave configuration, which helps you reduce repetitive motions.
We initially found positioning our hands comfortably on this shipping unit difficult. But after about a day, we got accustomed to the way it felt. The well-padded palm rest made everything feel even more comfy.
There are keys for launching applications, a convenient zoom button, and an array of customizable buttons. While these extras enhance productivity, the unique ergonomic features are what distinguish this keyboard. Unfortunately, the 4000 is USB only (you can't use a PS/2 adapter) and it seems just a tad pricey for a wired keyboard. But we're willing to pay a little extra for the sake of comfort.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Falling flash prices are a boon to enterprise storage buyers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- AMD's Vega GPUs will start shipping in the first half of 2017
- GeForce GTX 970 settlement website opens, Nvidia will pay graphics card owners $30
- Nvidia's faster, better GeForce Experience 3.0 launches with mandatory registration
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCChange and Communications ManagerQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- CCVideo Conference Support Officer- VoIP, LAN, WAN, RemedyNSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCEnterprise Application ArchitectQLD
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTEMC Storage ConsultantWA
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (IT Security) 160928/JP/653Asia
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSecurity Cleared IT Professionals - Expression of InterestSA
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC