Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
- Good design, padded palm rest, comfortable,
- Little too expensive
If comfort is important to you as a typist, then this is the keyboard for you.
Price$ 79.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Poor typing posture can wreak havoc on your wrists, but few people take the time to correct such hazardous habits. Enter Microsoft's Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Although it took us a while to get used to the keyboard's unconventional design, the results were worth the effort.
The Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 attempts to correct your hand positioning in several ways. First, its keys are laid out in a curve similar to the shape of a seagull's wings, with center keys that are proportionately oversize to compensate for how often you use them. Its gable design lets you position your forefingers higher than your little fingers, so your wrists adopt a more natural position. The keys on each side sit in a concave configuration, which helps you reduce repetitive motions.
We initially found positioning our hands comfortably on this shipping unit difficult. But after about a day, we got accustomed to the way it felt. The well-padded palm rest made everything feel even more comfy.
There are keys for launching applications, a convenient zoom button, and an array of customizable buttons. While these extras enhance productivity, the unique ergonomic features are what distinguish this keyboard. Unfortunately, the 4000 is USB only (you can't use a PS/2 adapter) and it seems just a tad pricey for a wired keyboard. But we're willing to pay a little extra for the sake of comfort.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
- Nvidia's latest Quadro GPU delivers a blistering 12 teraflops of performance
- Gaming desktops with AMD Zen chips will be hard to come by this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- FTData AnalystACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE/SQL Server) 160812/AP/553Asia
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCSenior Architect - CloudVIC
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCSOA -Solution Architect -baselineACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystWA
- CCSenior Citrix EngineerNSW
- CCTest CoordinatorQLD
- FTIT ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CCUX/UI Designer DeveloperWA
- FTSAP FS-PM/FS-PQM SpecialistVIC
- CCProject CoordinatorACT
- CCPMO ManagerVIC
- CCIOS DeveloperWA
- CCSolution Architect - Supply ChainNSW
- CCProject Manager- Infrastructure and App Roles- Gov BackgroundNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (ERP)NSW
- CCCRM Technical Consultant / DeveloperNSW
- CCVendor ManagerVIC
- CCOracle Apex DeveloperWA
- CCTrainer - Windows 10 / Office 2016ACT
- CCFMW DevelopersACT