Microsoft Windows 7 RC1
Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is a polished piece of work, ready for prime time
- Early beta tests suggest that the OS will be quicker than Vista
- Too soon to make a proper assessment of the operating system
It's way too early to make a proper assessment of Windows 7, but Microsoft has made its intentions clear: Windows 7 is intended to right the wrongs Vista wrought, but retain that operating system's good points. And at this point, we can't argue with that. Our early beta tests suggest that the OS will be quicker than Vista, which can only be a good thing. We'll be updating this review as we get more information on and time with Windows 7, so be sure to bookmark this page.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Windows 7: Networking Improvements
Windows 7 adds a few networking improvements that Vista and XP lacked. One of the most significant of these is HomeGroups, which give structure to the process of sharing devices and media files over a home network.
Setting up a HomeGroup between two or more Windows 7 PCs automates the sharing of Libraries (collections of pictures, music files, movies, or documents), printers, and storage devices. Windows 7 also increases the number of SMB network connections that you can have in a single network.
Setting up a HomeGroup needn't put all of your systems at risk, it seems. When you create one, Windows generates a secure passkey that you must enter on every system that you add to the HomeGroup, which should help keep interlopers from reaching your shared files and devices, even if they manage to get onto your wireless network.
Windows 7: Easy Upgrade
In our last trial of Windows 7, we had no opportunity to perform a full upgrade from Vista — an experience that will be important to many people who want to try out the 7 beta or to upgrade their own systems to 7 from XP or Vista.
If no news is good news, we're pleased to report that our own upgrade went off without a hitch. The actual install time was roughly 40 minutes, and the system rebooted more times than seemed necessary for a simple OS upgrade, but the final result was a fully functional installation. Even our AVG antivirus continued to function normally, which came as a welcome surprise.
Of course, we're running the new OS on a test machine that we use primarily for trying out things like this, and it isn't exactly laden with media files and applications. In coming weeks, we'll try the beta out on additional systems with a range of installed apps and files to see how the upgrade goes on machines with more-complicated software loads.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange Communications ManagerNSW
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- FTApplication AdministratorACT
- CCPorfolio Value Delivery ManagerNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCSolution Architect - WMS/LogisticsVIC
- CCSharePoint DeveloperACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCUNIX/ LINUX SERVER ENGINEERVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/Oracle) 160822/AP/259Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Oracle SQL/.Net) 160812/AP/vhsAsia
- CCSenior Integration Specialist - IP NetworkVIC
- CCSolution Architect, Funds Management, Part time roleNSW
- FTProject ManagerACT
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- CCChange LeadsNSW
- CCChange AnalystNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCiOS DeveloperVIC
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW