Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000
- Laser pointer, media controls, Bluetooth, magnifier button, travel case
- Hard to grip due to size
The Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 provides a good number of useful functions, and if you're going to get a travel mouse for presentation purposes then this mouse will go above and beyond the call of duty.
Price$ 149.95 (AUD)
Offering excellent versatility in a portable package, the Microsoft Wireless Notebook Presenter Mouse 8000 gives users of notebooks a variety of functionality primarily for the purpose of giving presentations. It's easy to set up and useful, not only for its primary purpose, but also for other areas of computing, such as listening to music or watching movies.
Comprised of the mouse itself and a USB dongle that acts as a Bluetooth 2.0 receiver, the Presenter Mouse 8000 works as both a mouse and a remote control of sorts. Once the Intellipoint software has been installed you plug the USB dongle into the notebook or PC and pair it with the mouse. In Mouse Mode the left and right mouse buttons work like normal and a third button on the left of the mouse works like a Back button. A further two buttons make things a little more interesting. The button on the far right brings up a magnifier and holding this button down allows you to increase the magnification and also the size of the viewing glass. This is an excellent feature if you wish to highlight something on a shared screen for many people in a large room - all in a pinch.
The button in the centre, behind the mouse wheel, switches the device into Presenter/Media Mode. Once in this mode you can pick up the mouse and flip it over. There, on the bottom, are a whole collection of new controls including play/pause, skip track and volume controls. The obvious use for this is during playback of a movie or audio track, but when in programs such as Microsoft PowerPoint it can also be used to skip between slides with ease. Also found amongst the media controls is a laser pointer button, which activates a laser pointer that comes from the tip of the mouse.
Installation was simple. We even tested the setup in Microsoft Windows Vista. The supplied installation disc came with software valid for Windows XP only, but Vista quickly picked up on the problem and promptly directed us to a download link where the appropriate Vista software was available. Once the software was installed the icon it left on the desktop linked to the basic mouse setup controls, where buttons can be programmed and all other standard mouse controls can be customised. Since it is designed for on-the-road usage Microsoft has supplied a clear hard shell to keep both the mouse and USB receiver during transport.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia's new $200 GeForce GTX 1060 3GB challenges the Radeon RX 480 head-on
- Corsair and MSI team up on a liquid-cooled, overclocked GeForce GTX 1080
- AMD's new SSG Technology blends an SSD with a GPU?!
- AMD packs 1TB SSD into a GPU for better VR and gaming
- AMD's Radeon Pro WX GPUs can create VR content for under $1,000
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCProject Resource SpecialistVIC
- CCService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCContracts and Procurement SpecialistACT
- FTOperations ManagerNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 160824/AP/531Asia
- CCProject Manager - PCI DSS / IMACSQLD
- CCOracle DBA with Solaris experienceNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer/Snr. Analyst Programmer 20160817/vedAsia
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior IoT / M2M .Net DeveloperVIC
- FTSharePoint DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Analyst (IT Security/Network & Systems) 160826/SA/652Asia
- CCPMO Project AdministratorNSW
- CCInfrastructure Deployment ManagerVIC
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCJunior SQL DBA - Entry LevelVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCIT Assistant (Infrastructure/PC LAN Support) 160825/ITA/864Asia
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTMicrosoft Enterprise Project Management - Technical ConsultantACT
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCIT Support Officer- SAP (tool experience)NSW
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC